Sign in to follow this  

ATV for Daughter

Hi,

I need a recommendation for a quad for my daughter. She is 16 and fairly tall 5'10". She is pretty aggressive and rides her brother's crf 150 no problem. Her riding situation requires her to have a four stroke. (I live on property and try not to annoy my neighbors with the 2 strokes.) I also do not want to spend a fortune under $2k. I was thinking of a older yamaha warrior?? Oh yeah I would like it to have a clutch. Any suggestions would be appreciated as I am not that familiar with the older models that might fit the bill. Thanks

Warriors are not bad machines, but from those I have seen, they can be a bit high maintenance. For my money, I'd be looking for either a Honda 300 or 400EX, or a Suzuki Z400. The Hondas are dated designs, but you can't kill 'em....very reliable. You'll spend a few more bucks on a Z400, but they are liquid cooled, higher performance than their counterparts, and also very reliable. I have a soft spot for the 400EX, personally. Very fun machines, and very well built. The Warrior's technology dates back to the 1980s. Not a fan. Don't be fooled about the newer Raptor 350 either. Its a Warrior with new plastics. There's a tone of 400EXs and Z400s out there, so finding one in good shape at a reasonable price shouldn't be difficult. Good luck!

There are definitely some out there to choose from. If anyone wants to pitch in some advice on anything specific I should look for, beware of, years to buy??? Feel free to chime in.

The earlier 400ex models did not have reverse. I personally own a Z400 and it is also a great quad with well over 200 hours and the only thing i have had to do to it is change the oil and i just shimmed the valves in the last 5 hours or so.

Warriors as is the Raptor 350 are turds, so avoid! (I know, I road one for almost a decade.)

A nice used Honda 400EX!!! Z400 is excellent as well. They are both bombproof, with just regular simple maintenance.