Sign in to follow this  

Where to add coolant

I'm not very maintenance savvy. So be gentle on me and my question.

I'm trying to add/replace the coolant. I have a 04 CRF 250x.

There's the coolant reserve tank and the radiator ... which do I fill?

The reserve tank fluid is below the lower level mark and the coolant has been in there for a while so I'm assuming it needs to be replaced and not just added to.

My question is: where do I add the coolant? At the radiator cap or in the reserve? Should I flush it all out or just add to the reserve tank?

Thanks a ton & Happy Thanksgiving!

The previous post is good advice.

Coolant should be replaced at least every two years so you may be due, use 50/50 water/antifreeze. Your manual should specify the type to use. General advice is don't use antifreeze with silicates. Color is not a good indicator of the type of antifreeze because there is no standard for the manufacturers to use, if in doubt just do two flushes. I do two flushes; the first is OK with tap water, the second use distilled water. I use distilled water purchased at Walmart ($0.65/gal) for flushing and mixing with antifreeze. What most people don't realize is the coolant deteriorates and becomes acidic; and if not changed can corrode aluminum, head gaskets, and cylinder liners in diesel engines. Use the radiator cap when flushing/replacing the coolant.

The reservoir is an overflow/recovery tank and that is where you should add make up coolant. As the engine heat cycles it will be transferred the coolant to the radiator, just like a car.

I use Engine Ice premixed coolant - ready to go.

From my web site:

"I emptied and flushed the cooling system before installing the Engine Ice. Engine Ice is a propylene glycol base engine coolant that is biodegradable, phosphate free, and non-toxic. It is premixed with de-ionized water, so you use it straight from the bottle - no additional mixing required."

CRF250X Modifications - radiator guards and coolant <-- linky

:lol::)

Whatever coolant you use read the label and make sure it does not contain silicates.

Also the lower right hose that runs close to the head pipe can get weak from the heat If its a few years old you might want to replace it.

The hose from the rad to the overflow bottle easily get pinched in its routing, preventing a good back and forth siphon effect. So yes it is a good idea to pull the rad cap every once in awhile to check level.