Sign in to follow this  

Which 125?

I am looking on riding/racing motocross for the first time next year, i have been a woods racer for a long time now, and im looking on buying a 125.

my price range is about $1000-1400. (so about 2000-2005)

i am 5'10" 112lbs and a pretty experienced rider.

i was just wondering what the quirks and advantages of the bikes of this age.

thanks.

(im a little partial to orange and blue :lol: )

dang Boxcar, eat a cheeseburger.... For that price range, I would be looking at a YZ. Plenty of them around...

Sadly, you'll be stuck in antique YZ/RM/KX/CR land.

The bike I'd recommend is obviously a pumpkin (for your size), but you ain't gettin' one for anywhere near that budget.

You'll be lucky to find an 01/02 series machine for $1400 bux that doesn't need a lot of work. That is a very hard price bracket to work with sadly and what you'll end up with is gonna be a good beginner bike, but not a good race bike.

If you wanna race, you've gotta get that budget up to 2k and buy something more modern. If everyone else in the race was riding antiques then that would be fine, but most everyone else will probably be riding modern machines and you can't beat a modern 38hp 125SX with a antique 28hp YZ125.

The bike I'd recommend is obviously a pumpkin (for your size), but you ain't gettin' one for anywhere near that budget.

You'll be lucky to find an 01/02 series machine for $1400 bux that doesn't need a lot of work. That is a very hard price bracket to work with sadly and what you'll end up with is gonna be a good beginner bike, but not a good race bike.

If you wanna race, you've gotta get that budget up to 2k and buy something more modern. If everyone else in the race was riding antiques then that would be fine, but most everyone else will probably be riding modern machines and you can't beat a modern 38hp 125SX with a antique 28hp YZ125.

Sadly Im broke :lol: but i could bump it up a bit. to like $1600. i see lots of 05 yz 125s, i know there the first year aluminum frame but how would that compare to a 2012 yz 125?

the biggestr part is that i can still afford them!

and around here everybody runs like 05 -06 250f's with the ocaisional 08 yz 125 thrown in there.

Sadly Im broke :lol: but i could bump it up a bit. to like $1600. i see lots of 05 yz 125s, i know there the first year aluminum frame but how would that compare to a 2012 yz 125?

I mean if you can get an 05 YZ125 for $1600 bux, go for it! Down here they are 2x that money. They are pretty much unchanged from 05 - 2012.

I think your HP numbers are off just a little there man. They are fairly close but the KTM does edge out the Yz. No where near a 10 HP difference. Ive seen 85s put out close to 28HP. Do a search on the 98 Yz and see what the HP numbers were. While that was a outstanding year for the Yz but Yamaha didnt drop 8-10 HP off the Yz.

I admit that the new KTMs are MUCH better, but back in the 00-04 era (which is where his budget falls) the Yz was a better bike IMHO.

I think your HP numbers are off just a little there man. They are fairly close but the KTM does edge out the Yz. No where near a 10 HP difference. Ive seen 85s put out close to 28HP. Do a search on the 98 Yz and see what the HP numbers were. While that was a outstanding year for the Yz but Yamaha didnt drop 8-10 HP off the Yz.

I admit that the new KTMs are MUCH better, but back in the 00-04 era (which is where his budget falls) the Yz was a better bike IMHO.

depends where you're getting your hp rating from, rear wheel or at the crank? cranks going to be higher and the wheels going to be lower, but either way 28 seems reasonable for a bike that maybe has a midlife top end on it!

I just picked up a 2002 CR125 for $1000. Has a pipe, silencer, v-force reeds. It is ready to go.

I just picked up a 2002 CR125 for $1000. Has a pipe, silencer, v-force reeds. It is ready to go.

The 2002 CR125R handles great and the ergos are excellent! Enjoy your new bike. Sounds like you got a sweet deal on it. :lol:

Well yes, but ya gotta remember, you're never getting that power out of a used beater bike. So where Yamaha claims the 2001/2002 YZ125 puts out 33hp, today that same bike will be a lot lower due to wear. Where a newer/modern bike will put out closer to where its original spec is. I was taking into account age and that makes a huge difference.

Sure, you can re-build the motor to more modern specs, but for that money, might as well buy a newer bike.

But its kinda a moot point since the OP can get a much newer YZ for the same price as old YZ's are out here... so the difference is like 5hp clean yz vs clean sx. Still, 5hp is 5hp and thats a lot when it comes to a light weight 2 stroke.

Ohh and I have ridden a lot of YZ's including some "modern" race bikes which were well taken care of and yes I don't ride a stock 125sx, but holy crap is my 125 quicker then any YZ I've ever sat on.

Absolutely, 100% agreed. A $1600 05 YZ125 in mint condition will blow away (suspension/chassis) a KTM of the same vintage. I almost bought an 06 YZ125 before I got the KTM because the YZ has always been noted as the best over-all 125 until recently. But I went the KTM route because I like european bikes and it was a newer machine for the same price, nobody in their right mind would pass it up!

I'm glad I'm involved with the KTM community though, to me that support network has been critical. I can drive down to the local shop and they only do KTM, so its easy to get any part you want that moment, instead of Yamaha dealers who usually don't stock miscellaneous parts, which means you're waiting for the part to show up. I've had nothing but bad luck with Japanese bikes and parts, unless buying online and time is not sensitive.

Well yes, but ya gotta remember, you're never getting that power out of a used beater bike. So where Yamaha claims the 2001/2002 YZ125 puts out 33hp, today that same bike will be a lot lower due to wear. Where a newer/modern bike will put out closer to where its original spec is. I was taking into account age and that makes a huge difference.

Sure, you can re-build the motor to more modern specs, but for that money, might as well buy a newer bike.

But its kinda a moot point since the OP can get a much newer YZ for the same price as old YZ's are out here... so the difference is like 5hp clean yz vs clean sx. Still, 5hp is 5hp and thats a lot when it comes to a light weight 2 stroke.

Ohh and I have ridden a lot of YZ's including some "modern" race bikes which were well taken care of and yes I don't ride a stock 125sx, but holy crap is my 125 quicker then any YZ I've ever sat on.

You make some good points but it seems like your only seeing it from one side of the fence... The KTM of similar age range is going to be just the same and likely more expensive. Im not saying the SX wasnt a good bike because that simply not true. But durring that era the suspension and chasis was leaps and bounds better on the Yz IMO. Id take a more plush ride ver 5 HP any day. Thats where the real speed comes from. Again, Just my .02.

Absolutely, 100% agreed. A $1600 05 YZ125 in mint condition will blow away (suspension/chassis) a KTM of the same vintage. I almost bought an 06 YZ125 before I got the KTM because the YZ has always been noted as the best over-all 125 until recently. But I went the KTM route because I like european bikes and it was a newer machine for the same price, nobody in their right mind would pass it up!

I'm glad I'm involved with the KTM community though, to me that support network has been critical. I can drive down to the local shop and they only do KTM, so its easy to get any part you want that moment, instead of Yamaha dealers who usually don't stock miscellaneous parts, which means you're waiting for the part to show up. I've had nothing but bad luck with Japanese bikes and parts, unless buying online and time is not sensitive.

Agreed... there is no way I would pass up a modern KTM smoker be it 125 or 250. They are just better bikes. Better engine, tunability, suspension is now on par with the 125, best craftsmanship avail, trick (hop up) parts come stock... the list goes on and on.

another thing is that i would be buying from the US, so i would have to get paperwork, and pay $300 in RIV fees its still cheap by $800 though. i saw a mint 01 yz 125 today is there anything i can do to it to get more power? it has a full fmf pipe.

Firstly I'd ride the bike as it is and see where it needs power or if it does at all, keep in mind reeds are exactly cheap either might be better off jetting and gearing before engine mods

Absolutely nothing wrong with an early 2000's YZ. They're good bikes. You won't have quite as much horsepower as a newer 250f, but it won't be a huge difference. Even if you bought a brand new 2012 YZ125, you'd still be down a little bit. Just get the cleanest bike you can that's in your price range and you'll be fine. A nice pipe is good for a couple of horsepower, and if you set the suspension up for your weight, it'll be enough to keep you competitive.