Sign in to follow this  

XR200 or a KDX200 for my 13 yr old?????

okay my youngest son, hes 13 and hes pretty good size 5'5" 200lbs. he has a xr 100 now, well hes way to big for it. he rides the wheels off that thing im amazed at how fast he can go thru the trails on that lil thing.

he only been riding since june. so, he is still pretty much a beginner. i want to get him something he can still learn on and as he progresses put him in some more HS races. He has already raced his first upon the xr.

so, do i go with an xr200, kdx200? of course we are on a pretty tight budget and there is always these 2 types of bikes in abundence on CL in our area.

i have a xr250 and thats just to cumbersome for him at this point. i want this bike to last him atleast a few years, i mean i can always go bigger or mod later. any help would be great guys. i'll be buying in a couple of months so i do have time to decide.

thanks, people, hope everyone had a good thanksgivin!

Edited by argclh6670
new title

I would also go with the KDX. It will allow your son to progress farther and last him longer than the XR. The KDX has a ton of potential and aftermarket support (see link below). Be careful though, your XR 250 may not be able to hang with him when he gets more experience!

http://www.frpoffroad.com/aboutus.htm

CoKTM

Funny thing, i was in that situation last year. I just turned 14 in september and last year my dad was going to get another kdx or give me his. I ended up sticking it out with my 125 and now i have a crf. KDX will be a great bike... i wouldnt do any mods until he rides it for a year or so and then pipe silencer and you'll be set!

kdx will last longer in the sense of he wont get bored with the speed, the xr200 would be the more cost effective machine imo, u dont have to replace as many top ends per season on a 4poke:ride:

KDXs don't need top-ends. They run forever! Seriously though, a KDX will not require much more maintenance than an XR, but it will be a lot more fun, and allow your son to progress much more.

Go KDX,that XR will get boring as he gets faster.
kdx will last longer in the sense of he wont get bored with the speed, the xr200 would be the more cost effective machine imo, u dont have to replace as many top ends per season on a 4poke:ride:
KDXs don't need top-ends. They run forever! Seriously though, a KDX will not require much more maintenance than an XR, but it will be a lot more fun, and allow your son to progress much more.

thanks guys, that was my feeling. but hes still very much a beginner and at only 5'4" i m thinking the xr will prolly be the better ride for him atleaast for awhile. my wife wants to start riding with us so the XR will go to her when hes more experienced then we'll go with the kdx for him at that point. thanks for all the input.

When i was 12 I got an XR200, only lasted me a year and a half, by the time i was 14, about 5'6'' and 160lbs it was worthless. Ended up getting a KDX. Wish i would have just got the KDX to begin with.

When i was 12 I got an XR200, only lasted me a year and a half, by the time i was 14, about 5'6'' and 160lbs it was worthless. Ended up getting a KDX. Wish i would have just got the KDX to begin with.

good point. yeah i think in our case the xr is good because of his level mainly. if he was more confident /experienced the height of the bike wouldnt really bother him. also, the bike would become my wifes later.

However,

if we were to go with the kdx, id wanna look at lowering it. is this easily done? and how?