Sign in to follow this  

Front end washing out...

We went riding at Brimstone Recreation park in Tennessee this past weekend and this place is 21,000 acres in the mountains of rock, washouts, logs, hard pack clay, water, mud, narley downhills and sikk hill climbs!! So of course I had to soften my suspension all the way on the clickers and slow my rebound down to handle all the rock. But after doing this I noticed how my front end was washing out really bad. Felt like I was fighting the front end the whole time, especially on the downhills.. So did I slow the rebound down to much and this is the cause of this? I rode again today back in Ga on just clay trails and felt myself still fighting the front end. I turned the rebound clickers back hard 2 clicks, but still felt thw same thing. I think I'm 15-17 clicks out from hard...

Felt like I was fighting the front end the whole time, especially on the downhills.. .

I found my click adjustments to not be of alot of value, I had the same problems as you, washing out, especially on downhills, rough ones, where the fork was just not reacting fast enough to keep the tire in contact with the ground and thus, in control. I clicked out/off ALL the rebound damping, still no help, replaced the stock fork fluid with ATF fluid, AHA got some improvement, so I replaced the ATF with some BelRay 5wt....VIOLA, today, I felt like I was riding someone else's bike, my front end is more plush AND it stays in contact with the dirt more, giving me more feedback and NO washouts!. I actually have some BelRay2.5w coming in the mail, when it's time to service my forks, I'm gonna try it, because my forks are still stiffer on rebound than my rear shock. In the pic below, my forks were in the red circle with too much rebound damping, now they are in the green circle with lighter rebound damping, I have more control, more traction and they are more plush, by maxxing out the clicker AND putting in thinner oil.

ReboundDamping.jpg.