Sign in to follow this  

1990 xr250r Carb Issues?

I just bought a 1990 honda xr250r. the bike looks like it had been sitting a while but it "runs". i took carb apart and cleaned good and it fires right up but when you rev it up it it will stay revved high. like it will be idling low and good then you rev it up and its like it dont want to rev back down to idle? not sure what the deal may be although the plastic "baffle" or "jet holder" that is a plastic piece that fits over the main jet seemed a little "hard" from age and probally sitting with a dry bowl. could this be the cause of not wanting to rev down? if i hit the gas hard a few times it will idle back down but it takes a few times to get it back down. also if your riding and pull the clutch in it stays revved up till u hit the gas a few times. gas cable looks good and nothing is sticking any help would be great thank you.

1990 XR250R is the bike.

i set the pilot screw to 1 3/4 turns out is that correct? or is it suppose to be 2 1/4 out?

Edited by miichael

no reply yet but i adjusted screw both 1 3/4 and 2 1/4 with no luck. took carb back off and cleaned it out very good with carb cleaner and air inside and out. put it back together same thing. idles perfect till u rev it up then its like gas is hanging gotta hit the throttle few times to get it to idle back down.

anyone????

i got it fixed after running a speaker wire through the main jet and ran wire through all the little holes. guess there was build up that carb cleaner wouldnt get. anyone know what the needle jet is suppose to be set at on a 1990 xr250r? 86-87 says 2 1/4 out. 96-04 says 1 3/4 out. thanks

anyone know what the needle jet is suppose to be set at on a 1990 xr250r? 86-87 says 2 1/4 out. 96-04 says 1 3/4 out. thanks

thats not the needle jet,thats the pilot screw your talking about,set the screw so you get the best response,anything that may have been done to the bike,different pipe or air filter or whether the airbox lid is removed, will affect where the screw works best,get your bike warmed up,set it on a highish idle,then turn the screw in and out until you find the position that gives the highest idle,then turn it out another 1/4 turn,should be about right,if the screw is now 3 or more turns out you probably want the next size up pilot jet,if its less than 1 turn out you probably need a size smaller pilot jet,