Sign in to follow this  

how to replace a connecting rod?

there's a bike on cl right now for 600 bucks (99 200mxc) that i'd love to have, wondering though! how hard is it to ( insert title) ? would i have to split the cases? is it worth the money for the bike etc and what are some general problems that come with a bad rod? :lol:

Boy, it's a crap shoot, if the bike was nice, and you knew all that was bad was a con rod at the piston end, then yea, may be an ok price as KTM are overpriced anyway.

Problem is a bad rod can very possibly be bad bearings at big end, so maybe crankshaft damage, if it broke could have beat the cylinder up, the lower end of the case could be beat up.

Best case your probably going to have close to your 600 bucks in it again to fix it.

Worst case..... sky's the limit.

Now don't get me wrong, I see your 15 so it could be a good learning bike. If you take your time do the work yourself, and just buy parts as you can afford, you could have a nice ride when your done. I did the same thing with a car when I was 16, every payday I went and bought what I could, and after 8 months I had all the engine and trans parts, and soon, one bad 383 six-pack 69 charger, was worth the time many times over.

Two words, Andrew Cooksey. Look up Cookseycranks, he is in the Dallas area, does the most reasonably priced KTM 2stroke crank rebuilds around. Honest man! He would be your best source for info, advice, and parts. I have had him rebuild several cranks for me.

go to look up rockey mountain mc. On their web site there is a "videos" button. They have a series of videos showing in detail a 2 stroke crank replacemnent procedure!!! Good luck!

Boy, it's a crap shoot, if the bike was nice, and you knew all that was bad was a con rod at the piston end, then yea, may be an ok price as KTM are overpriced anyway.

Problem is a bad rod can very possibly be bad bearings at big end, so maybe crankshaft damage, if it broke could have beat the cylinder up, the lower end of the case could be beat up.

Best case your probably going to have close to your 600 bucks in it again to fix it.

Worst case..... sky's the limit.

Now don't get me wrong, I see your 15 so it could be a good learning bike. If you take your time do the work yourself, and just buy parts as you can afford, you could have a nice ride when your done. I did the same thing with a car when I was 16, every payday I went and bought what I could, and after 8 months I had all the engine and trans parts, and soon, one bad 383 six-pack 69 charger, was worth the time many times over.

New con rod comes with big end pin in crank. Andrew in here can fix the crank reasonably. (www.cookseycrank.com)

It will need new crank bearings as well.

If its not ceased, then it might be worth doing. If its ceased, I wouldn't touch it because other things might be damaged that the owner doesn't know about.

So yes, take the top end off, box up the bottom end, send it to Andrew and he'll do the business! :lol:

well, i found a fully put together yz that needs some carb work for 900 bucks 2004 i think the extra 200 would be worth it right? http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/mcy/2720245898.html think he might go down to 750 or 800?

That is not an 04. Steel frame, steel subframe. 04 had aluminum subframe.

I would stay away from that bike, who knows what else is wrong with it.