Sign in to follow this  

Can we talk 2013

I doubt anything. With new body work, 6 speed in 2011 and the linkage in 2012, I expect KTM to focus on their 450 for 2013. I think 2012 will be their last major update for a few years.

Probably just the plastics from dungey's 450 and slight motor/suspension updates.

I have a feeling that 2014 is the year of DI!

I know what I would like to see, A 380 engine in a new chassis;)

Joe.....

380s are kinda an oddball size. Are they much faster then the 300s?

Probably just the plastics from dungey's 450 and slight motor/suspension updates.

I have a feeling that 2014 is the year of DI!

Same prediction of DI has been posted for the last 3-4 years :lol:

Joe

It's hard to completely trust that internal KTM document. For instance it makes no mention of the FI 450SX that HAS to be released MY 12.5 for AMA homologation.

A just want a big bore 2 stroke w/ a carb in the modern linkage frame. Built to have long smooth, 450F like power. If you are limited by cc for a racing class than DI could be an advantage. But it will weigh more, cost more, and break more. As a professional track day practice guy, I'd rather get the long smooth reliablility of a Big Bore 2 stroke and just race the open class. Anyways, DI will be introduced on the EXC's first and only once Euro rags make KTM, because it's expensive!

The 300 engine really isn't that impressive. It has too much much bore for the stroke size and it lops off the entire top end. The 300cc is a great trail bike powerband but stock it works quite poorly for MX work. Really the 250SX engine just works better for MX. The 300 needs more stroke which is exactly why my 300SX crank is at Falicon getting stroked right now to make my previous 293cc go to a 314cc. Not really for more power as much as just longer power while maintaining overrev.

From what I understand, 2013 is going to be a minor-update year, with all the 4 strokes that arn't EFI now, becoming EFI.

We also might see a big-bore EFI 2 stroke in 2013. KTM is done with the designs, they've tested the motors, it seems like they're just waiting to see if there is any demand. They for sure won't do it to the SX series, but they might do it to the EXC series.

I'm not sold on the face lift for 2013 on the SX models, seems kinda early to me. Maybe they are gonna fix the small airbox issue?

It's hard to completely trust that internal KTM document. For instance it makes no mention of the FI 450SX that HAS to be released MY 12.5 for AMA homologation.

Actually, all they need to do is say they're running the EXC and they are fine. AMA can't figure out they're running an SX frame, they don't really care. In the past, teams added fuel injection to their bikes before it was available on the production version without the AMA getting upset. Plus the suspension can be completely built from scratch including the link's and triple clamps.

Ohh and that internal document is from earlier this year, way before they signed Dungy... Look at the Moto3 bike for 2014 thats a 350.. well the actual Moto3 class is a 250, so woops on that one!

I'm not sold on the face lift for 2013 on the SX models, seems kinda early to me. Maybe they are gonna fix the small airbox issue?

Actually, all they need to do is say they're running the EXC and they are fine. AMA can't figure out they're running an SX frame, they don't really care. In the past, teams added fuel injection to their bikes before it was available on the production version without the AMA getting upset. Plus the suspension can be completely built from scratch including the link's and triple clamps.

Ohh and that internal document is from earlier this year, way before they signed Dungy... Look at the Moto3 bike for 2014 thats a 350.. well the actual Moto3 class is a 250, so woops on that one!

Have you seen the pics of dungey's bike from that one bike show? It shows different fenders, radiator plastic and airbox. here: http://blog.derestricted.com/racing/2012-2013-ktm-450-sx-f-ryan-dungey-eicma/

They can't say they are running the exc because the exc comes with pds stock. Dungey's bike has a different frame and swing arm, which the rules state that you can't change. So they will need to release a 2012.5

They can't say they are running the exc because the exc comes with pds stock. Dungey's bike has a different frame and swing arm, which the rules state that you can't change. So they will need to release a 2012.5

IDK, but I doubt they will be releasing anything mid year next year. I think they have found some loop holes in the rule book, not like anyone has done THAT before! LOL :lol:

hopefully get rid of the plastic preload ring on the shock, maybe some stiffer springs (on some models), i dont think they need to add electric start for the sx 2 strokes(only if they can save weight somewhere else)

380s are kinda an oddball size. Are they much faster then the 300s?

I have only owned one 300 and that was an 02 so I can't say much about the newer 300's. I have test ridden a few of the newer. The 380's do have more grunt than a 300 and will out rev them. Setup is key. When I had 380's I could keep up with 450's easily. I'm no MXr so I have no idea about the track. The 380 engine was the perfect balance to me. A 500cc is simply too much but the 380 is controllable usable power. Sadly, the 4 strokes took over and KTM gave up on the 380. Can't blame KTM, back in 02 03 time frame everyone was busy buying thumpers so 380 sale were lame. People are starting to wake up from the 4 stroke dream though. Dang I need to get another 380;)

Joe...........

A 300 with a good head mod, 38mm carb bore, sx cdi, and red powervalve spring runs really strong. My 300 was pretty mellow until I completed those mods and now it rips.