Sign in to follow this  

Intechangeable components between XL185S and xr200r

Hello,

Thumper newbie here.

I recently got a project '81 XL185S in pretty bad shape. I keep finding more and more things that the previous owner seems to have "modified".

The rear brake pedal and rod were missing,

the sprocket was bolted to the hub (I understand that there is supposed to be a c-clip and some kind of cush drive),

the central rear wheel spacer had been replaced with one that was too big so that when I went to replace the destroyed bearings I may have damaged the new ones :lol:

etc...

Anyways, the point is, I have an opportunity to get a cheap '83 XR200R in pieces with a shot motor. I understand that the suspension on the XR is mono-shock and the XL is dual shock so I cant easily switch swingarms, but would the tire plug-and-play? any other bits to make it worth getting?

A lot of parts interchange but one with a bad wheel and one with a bad motor begs a question: What is your intended use of the combined bike? I think the answer will determine which way to go.

Differences from my memory:

The XL185S is most closely related to the XL200, and close to the XR200 (twin shock)

Suspension is much better on the XR.

Don't know if the wheels exchange, axles are the same size so the issue may be spacers. IMO the cush hub was a PITA so I can understand removing the rubber bushings.

The engines are of the same family of two valve motors based on the XL125S.

The XLs are five speed, the XRs are six speed.

Disregarding the displacement differences the XR is at a higher level of tune than the XL (more compression, more aggressive cam, bigger carb, etc).

Cylinders interchange and the 185 cylinder can be bore to 200cc.

Ignition advance is probably different

XL alternator will power street lights, XR only a 35watt headlite and small tail light.

A lot of parts interchange but one with a bad wheel and one with a bad motor begs a question: What is your intended use of the combined bike? I think the answer will determine which way to go.

The XL185S is most closely related to the XL200, and close to the XR200 (twin shock)

Don't know if the wheels exchange, axles are the same size so the issue may be spacers. IMO the cush hub was a PITA so I can understand removing the rubber bushings.

Disregarding the displacement differences the XR is at a higher level of tune than the XL (more compression, more aggressive cam, bigger carb, etc).

XL alternator will power street lights, XR only a 35watt headlite and small tail light.

Thanks for the information.

My intention is to have a bike that is capable of going anywhere.

I am a newbie rider so I neither need, nor want, tremendous power.

I DO want the final product to be street legal and, if I am not mistaken, that means it needs to have been street legal from the factory. This means that I will at least need to use the XL frame (XR's werent street legal, right?).

Is the XR front suspension also much better?

I think for the $100 the guy wants for the XR, I will get it. Even if I can't harvest that much, the parts will be worth it.

You can dual sport the XR frame! All you really need are lights and signals, a horn, mirror and steel tank, along with DOT tires and a title.

Edited by 500XC
god damned auto correct!

Put the XL steering head on the XR chassis and you can have both.:lol:

In that era there was also a XL200R, a street legal XR chassis. Not a big seller.

You can dual sport the XR frame! All you really need are lights and signals, a horn, mirror and steel tank, along with DOT tires and a title.

Unfortunately as of 2008 (I think) bikes that werent street legal from the factory can not be made street legal in Ontario. So I need to keep the XL frame. Or maybe I could cut off the XL vin and weld it to the XR frame! :)

Hi the xl185 is a 15mm rear axle, the xr200r is a 17mm rear axle. The steering head bearingings are very different in size and not interchangeable. I have cut the bearing cups (bearing holders) off frames and rewelded them onto different frames so I could swap over front ends. Not very hard to do and has always worked out well.

Hi the xl185 is a 15mm rear axle, the xr200r is a 17mm rear axle. The steering head bearingings are very different in size and not interchangeable. I have cut the bearing cups (bearing holders) off frames and rewelded them onto different frames so I could swap over front ends. Not very hard to do and has always worked out well.

This info seems to be conflicting. Is there anywhere I can look these things up?

My bad on the axle size, I was thinking early and late XR200Rs instead of the twin shock models.

You can search part fiche for the bearings and the part description and the part number contains the metric bearing code.

Here is a short table:

No .. ID x OD x TH

6001 . 12 x 28 x 8

6201 . 12 x 32 x 10

6301 . 12 x 37 x 12

6002 . 15 x 32 x 9

6202 . 15 x 35 x 11

6302 . 15 x 42 x 13

6003 . 17 x 35 x 10

6203 . 17 x 40 x 12

6303 . 17 x 47 x 14

6004 . 20 x 42 x 12

6204 . 20 x 47 x 14

6304 . 20 x 52 x 15

6006 . 30 x 55 x 13

6904 20 x 37 x 9

The last digit of the number is the bearing ID code; 1 is 12mm, 2 is 15mm, 3 is 17mm, 4 and above multiply by 5 for the ID e.g. 4x5=20mm.

The first two digits is the bearing class, bigger number is higher capacity and thus a larger OD. Some specialty bearing will have a 1 prefix and a 5 digit number.

A suffix /# indicates the size of a non standard ID e.g. /26 would have a 25mm ID.

Letter & number suffix are used by the mfg to denote features such as seals shields etc.