Sign in to follow this  

CRF250 - What year to buy?

Looking to move my 13 year old son up from his CRF150. He is 5'5 140lbs and been riding all of his life. We ride in the desert. We are pretty set on the CRF250 and would like to spend under $3000 but could go higher if we need to.

Is there much of a difference between the 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008? I know Honda went to the dual exhaust in 2006 so I was looking for an 06 or newer but there are some great deals on 2005's! Would an 04 or 05 be a mistake?

Only the intakes are bad IF YOU DON'T maintain it... keep the airifilter clean and it will be as good as any other brand... and any year is good, just stay away from 04 if you can

WARNING STAY AWAY FROM THE CRF 250 THE HEADS ARE JUNK. I did everything to keep my valves in great shape cleaned the air filter religiously changed oil religious everything I did and sure enough my valves went. Get your son on a 2-stroke, he's about my body build and I thought I loved my 250f until I sold it and got my ktm 144sx. I feel ten times more comfortable on the bike, its light, yet ballsy. Just whatever you do DO NOT GET A CRF 250.

Stop the CRF250 bashing.

The main cause of the intake valve problems on the CRF250 is dust getting sucked in the breather hoses on the carb, NOT PAST THE AIR FILTER. Do a search, it is well documented in the CRF250 forum since back in 2004/2005.

So, if you don't ride in excessive dust, clean the carb regularly, and try to keep it off the rev limiter you will get good life from the valves. And yes, it is a racing 4-stroke so you might have to change the valves eventually. Luckily you can even buy a new head from Honda for a reasonable price.

So, if you are stuck on a used 250F, especially a Honda, get the one in the best shape with the least hours. Of the 04-09. many would say the 05 is the best. It has better handling and suspension than the 04 and it has the smaller carb (less bog) and single exhaust compared to the newer ones.