Sign in to follow this  

New to me DRZ need help

Hello guys I just bought a 2002 DRZ S with 4,000 miles on it and I am in need of some assistance.

Im comeing off a wr250r totally modded out and am im not all that impressed with the power of this bike. My Wr for a 250 dual sport flat out riped. I know that I can change that easily with a few $$ just dont know where to begin.

Also what oil should I run. And are there anythings I should change for reliability such as the Cam chain tensioner?

I would like to break 40hp with the stock engine, from there if I am not happy i will dig into the motor.

What do I need to do, the whole rundown would be nice if anyone could.

I am assuming a start would be a Carb and such off of an e model. And also Is there a way to motard this thing without spending 1,000$

It is winter now so I got all season to turn wrenches.

Thanks for any help in advanced

If anyone could a dyno sheet with a parts breakdown would be awsome.

Cams are not out of the question.

did already.

Im looking for a straightforward do this, and this is what you get.

My wr had, FMF puter, Fmf power bomb and power core, 5 teeth up rear sproket, ais block off, lower seat, lowererd suspension. d 606s. Protaper bars, asv levers the whole 9 yards so to speak. This bike is a whole nother animal I have no idea where to start.

Keep in mind I am going to use this bike on mostly street and get a 125mxer for offroad. Unlike my WR. Thats why i didnt get a drz in the first place because im 5,7" and 150, 310lbs is hard to move around for us little guys

From what I have read here I would be careful buying a used FCR. But what paolo h said would be a good start. Im sure others will chime in your question. Good luck!

Fcr carb, 3x3 mod on the airbox and the mrd ssw exhaust should break the 40 HP mark I believe. Although someone may correct me on that.

What about all that and a set of cams.

I know the s model has lame cam's. im looking at 1500$ then. About 500carb 500 exhaust and I have no Idea how much the cams are

i suppose I should just send the motor to eddie for 1900 how can i beat that and save alot of headachs

How many miles can I expect from eddies engine? Is there a huge drop in reliability?

And whats the deal with the MCCT does it have an auto stock?

No I dont I can get some though.

The bike is real nice. It has an aftermarket seat, and ufo lights on the back. For some reason the fuel petcock is an aftermarket stainless unit, not the stock. It has D 606s although the front is shot. The seller told me that the engine will flood if you leave the gas on....???. Also has an aftermarket stainless gas cap.

On one side there are a few scratches but its not bad at all.

Levers got to go,

Bar has to go,

Lowering Link is a must I think (unless I SM it which I might):lol:

Dont like the graphics for that year they got to go. there yellow/white on yellow plastic.

Would love some sort of USD forks eventualy, keep up with the times you know. Is there any real advantage with USDs over the stockers

I cant touch the ground on it, but it didnt stop me from doing a kick turn out of the guys driveway after he wrote the receipt:p

It floods because the carb needs a new seat and/or a valve body O-ring. Until you fix the carb, don't leave the fuel on at all when the engine is off or fuel will seep into the crankcase...and even then it is not recommended.

He replaced the OEM petcock because they have a tendency to fail. Instead of hoping they're not letting fuel pass, he installed a manual one so he knew nothing was getting though. The only downside is that you have to remember to turn off the petcock.