Sign in to follow this  

XL600 Oil Pump Issues (&^%$#^$!!!!)

Hi all.

I am looking for some help/tips.

I have an XL600R with a dry sump - that won't stay dry! In theory about 1/2 the oil stays in the sump and 1/2 stays in the frame, but mine all works down to the sump.

I thought it may be the Oil Pump check valve so I pulled the pump out, broke it down, checked the tolerances, cleaned it and re-assembled, but same problem.

So I bought a new pump & new 'o' rings & installed that. But same problem.

Have pulled it out again tonight, checked that all is installed firmly, etc and it was - and the problem persists.

I can't find anything wrong - and have no idea where to look next. Any tips/ideas/experiences to share?

Thanks in advance.

Paul :lol:

did you replace the dowels?

My xr600 has a stock pump but I replaced the check valve PLUNGER I stretched the spring out a bit too and replaced all the orings, that includes the oil hose rings that come down from the frame.

Someone said that maybe the dowels are too aged and might leak oil through even though the orings have been replaced.

just a thought...

cheers

Mine has ZERO "wet sumping" after 2 rebuilds though...jeje

I have been told though its not too big of a deal..my old yamaha xt600 did the exact same thing, trock there is to replace the orings in the external oil tank...same issue same fix pretty much

good luck

edit. by plunger I mean the actual rubber tip on the check valve you can replace it...I did...what also helps os to re stretch the spring so it stays tight. The actual metal piston isnt as important as the rubber tip that actuall does the sealing/pumping. Try replacing it.

Thats weird ALL your oil is in the sump though...something is wrong there...

Just reread: did you new pump come with a new valve/plunger and spring or just the housing?

sorry if not much help.

I have an XL600R with a dry sump - that won't stay dry! In theory about 1/2 the oil stays in the sump and 1/2 stays in the frame, but mine all works down to the sump.

I thought it may be the Oil Pump check valve so I pulled the pump out, broke it down, checked the tolerances, cleaned it and re-assembled, but same problem.

So I bought a new pump & new 'o' rings & installed that. But same problem.

Have pulled it out again tonight, checked that all is installed firmly, etc and it was - and the problem persists.

I can't find anything wrong - and have no idea where to look next. Any tips/ideas/experiences to share?

Thanks in advance.

Paul :lol:

Does this happen when the engine is run or just when it sits? Since you have had the pump out, I would suggest doing the priming procedure outlined in several threads on here and especially making sure that oil is getting to the top end via the upper banjo bolt.