Sign in to follow this  

Vertically Challenged on the WR

Ok, time for a new smoker and cannot seem to get thought of buying a new WR250/300 out of my mind.

I ride mostly extremely tight rocky ruty singletrack stuff, with a few atv trails thrown in for good measure.

I had a 2005 GASGAS and loved its lower seat height, I was hoping that the WR might be close, yet it seems 2" taller......:lol:

Anyone had good luck with having ltr or wer do a 1" lowering job on this bike, or has anyone shaved the seat down?

I have a few friends that are not vertically challenged such as myself and they rave about the bang for the buck and the quality of their 2009-2011 WR's......

Or should I just give up and buy another GG?????

I have an OEM Husky "low" seat that I bought from Motosportz on my 2012 CR 125. It helps a little (about an inch), but you give up some comfort. I'm not sure if they make a lowered seat for the WR 250/300, but the dealer can check the hard parts catalog. Husky's are tall across the model range.

Be sure to have the correct springs on the bike for your weight and the correct sags. This makes a huge differnce. I had a problem swinging my leg over the back of the bike till I got the correct shock spring. I had to go from a 5kg to a 6kg to get it right. When I first got the bike the spring was so light that I had no static sag when I had correct rider sag. You have to get the correct static sag. Front and Rear. I actually had to go lighter one size on fork springs to get the right rider and static sag numbers I was looking for.

I think there are quite few vertically challenged out here that have had there suspension lowered by as much as 2". The few I have talked to have been very happy with theirs.

you can elongated the holes in the lower subframe and loose about 1/4" or so. This with a few other tricks may get you where you need to be. I'm 5'9" and it took me a while to get used to the height of my 300.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ride my Aprilia 2008 RXV550 on some really tight rutty/rocky singletrack stuff, yet I do fall more than I should in the tight off-center/balance stuff.

I'm going back and forth between buting a 2011 GASGAS & 2010 WR, yet I really like the WR, especially the pricing lately......!!Smile!!!

I mostly ride the singletrack in the Ganaraska Forest in Ontario, Canada.. Personally I could never ride a stock height Husqvarna (many friends have stock height Husqvarnas).. Truth be known, I won't even swing a leg over one and sit on the seat.. Because I would be tippy toe on one side and the other leg would be a inch or two in the air.. Not very confidence inspiring.. Being older (49) if I should tip over (much less crash) and break a bone or two.. Not worth the risk for me..

My first Husqvarna was a 2" lowered (modified internally) 2006 WR125 (bought it used fall 2008).. When I threw a leg over it I could touch both sides (about half way between tippy toe and flat footing).. Aaahh it was a perfect fit.. Although ground clearance was a little lower the confidence gained was well worth it (for me)..

In the fall of 2009 I traded it in for a 2007 Husqvarna WR250.. Swapped the front and rear suspension from the WR125 to the WR250 (was done before I took it home).. This is what I currently ride and love the bike.. Someday may get a GasGas but as mentioned the Huskies give the most bang for the buck.. Cheers.. :lol:

not much i can do with mine. i have 27 inch inseam, on my motard i need to keep the chassis within a certin set up for it to work properly. it has shortened fork travel f & r but even that isn't enough. Ad a lowering link and i am still several inches short. biggest problem is starts. can't a get a decent launch.. any suggestions ???

Nope going to screw on wooden blocks to the soles of my boots!!! ....smile....

Add thicker soles to your boots! Good luck

Hi! I cut my seat about an inch. Then just refitted the seatcover. Good for me who,s only 175cm short, but comfort is suffering, so a lower seat with the same softness as standard would be good!

Johnny