Sign in to follow this  

1978 Suzuki DR370 test.

always wanted one. In fact I went to buy one in 1979 and ended up on a GS425 instead on the advice of someone else.... should have listened to myself. Never cared much for that 425, just a generic streetbike.

Bike was the basic trainer for Vic Camp's roadrace school. Handles really well on the road. Completely outclassed offroad by the DR400 which got a tougher engine [no faster though] and a late RM based chassis. DirtBike modified that and beat CCMs! You could get a 420 kit and a 36mm carb from White Bros, and ProTec did cams and springs for both the 370 and 400. [No stronger springs available now and the standard cam is good anyway] Then you shove on early RM 38mm forks and 16.5" ohlins shocks [army Harley rotax singles go straight on]. That makes a very cheap basis for a fourstroke twinshock motocross bike. You can use a DR500 or a KLX250 ally swingarm or a longer ally PE 250/400 one to save a bit of weight. The DR500 option is the easiest unless you need a longer arm. Worst thing is the head angle, it's too raked, fine at speed but wanders under 15mph.

Edited by cloggy

I had one back in the day

It was slow HEAVY slow and handled like crap.And all that was the good things about it. Lord was that a ugly machine

I had a white brothers fork kit and Works performace shocks with a preston petty head light

Most fun I ever had riding in my life was on that thing.

I had one back in the day

It was slow HEAVY slow and handled like crap.And all that was the good things about it. Lord was that a ugly machine

I had a white brothers fork kit and Works performace shocks with a preston petty head light

Most fun I ever had riding in my life was on that thing.

They would do wheelies like a fool though. A buddy had one and it was a hoot to ride on the street (on the back tire):lol:

I still have mine, from 1979! It's in ratty shape, but simple and reliable as an anvil, and still a blast to ride.

It has Terry Kit fork damping rods, Works Performance Gassers shocks, a White Bro.s aluminum swing arm and cobbled together exhaust pipe with a Supertrapp. I also have a spare engine in the barn

The forks are moved up 1.5 inches in the clamps, which helps quicken the steering noticeably, and the longer Works shocks help also. The airbox is removed and a K&N filter keeps most of the grit out.

I am un-ashamedly a fan of these bikes, and I also ride a '91 CR500 for comparison. It is not an MX machine, but who says that's the be-all / end-all standard anyway? This thing would be perfect for an endurance ride in the desert. It works well from a crawl to over 75mph, and fuel consumption is awesome.

Long live the DR/SP370!:lol:

Regards,

M.R.

Martin I Henry;

I also have the 1978 Cycle World DR370 article scanned, but I guess I don't have enough posts for picture privileges. If I send the files to you in a P.M. could you post them?

Regards,

M.R.

• Like 1

Has anyone got any photos or magazine articles showing the aftermarket White Bros/Al Baker/Protec alloy swingarms on a DR/SP370? I have been searching for weeks and have not found any photos except for a very low res scan from the 79 FMF catalogue. It would be great to see an actual real photo if theres anyone out there that has a DR with one of these swingarms still. I have found several DR370 modification articles but none have the alloy swingarm fitted. Thanks

I have just finished this 1980 dr 400 I used rm forks from a 1985 125  a 1980 rm 400 swing arm that I had to machine to fit the engine has custom 12-1 piston I had made I desighned a cam shaft I have a titanium intake valve and I desighned a valve spring kit  I hand built the exhaust and used a yosh muffler I dynode the bike and tuned it to 44 hp and 30#s of torque the bike is 410 ccs so far every body that has rode it likes the curve it pulls to 10000 rpm and will run a track in 3 rd gear its not nessay ft down to second for even tight corners I had one rider ask me if I could make his 450 pull like this from the corners the bike turns as well as a new bike .

DSCN0341.JPG

I have PM'd member M.RAD above about his bike but he has not visted this site for months so i am not sure he would have got the message. I can find hundreds of photos of yamahas with aftermarket swingarms but not a single one of a DR/SP370!

I know someone who has a taken a 400 out to 511cc by stroking as well as boring it but he is having problems with breaking gears. It has too much power and torque for the gearbox.

Edited by LWC82PE