got a 2012 now what? :)

Hello everyone,

After a long 6 years i finally had the extra cash to upgrade from my beaten up 05 to a 2012 CRF 250R. Now that I have it home I havn't been able to put a ton of track time on it as we have just gotten a snow storm this week. So I am just curious what kind of "upgrades" I should do to it. Not thinking high end yet just little things that may help it. Thank You!

Break in 30-45 min without over-revving or lugging the engine and keep the shocks and forks at their max stiff settings during the first hour. After that, set the rear sag, soften up the suspension settings to match your weight and riding level and change the oils and filter.

Stock chain was the first thing I changed out on mine. Went to a DID VT520 (narrow).

Second was the stock gearing - The 2012 pulls much better than previous years so I'm running 14/51 to stretch out the spacing between gears a bit. A lot of folks are running a 48T rear and keeping the 13 front. My gearing is another 2% higher.

Stock tires are great, even the front, but I went to HD tubes since I mainly race hare scrambles and there are some pretty sharp rocks to deal with.

I also added a Works Connection skid plate for a bit more case protection, and a set of Cycra Stealth Handguards.

I have an FMF RCT Muffler (Stainless Steel & Aluminum) and an FMF Megabomb header (also stainless steel) on order because I (and many others) believe the stock exhaust is a bit restrictive to get the bike to be so quiet.

I also installed a z-Start Pro Rekluse clutch, but I've been running them since they were introduced on all my offroad bikes.

I now have three 2-hour+ Hare Scrambles completed on mine and another scheduled for Dec 4. I can report that the bike is a solid improvement over my 2009 and 2010 CRF250Rs. Motor is very strong in the mid-range where I ride most of the time and handling has finally returned to the level of my 2009.

My 2012 is the first new bike I've purchased since October 2004 (CRF450R) and I am sure you will notice a huge difference over your 2005!

Enjoy!!

Thank You very much! Ya i did notice that i would want to maybe change the gearing a little bit and also thinking about some works connection radiator guards. Did you experience any issues with your clutch before swapping it out as I have heard some reviews saying it fades really bad(i haven't had enough time on it I don't think)

I'm not a clutch slipper - Spent most of my riding/racing years on 4-strokes, and try to plan ahead to be in the right gear exiting corners... So I'm not a good judge of stock clutch durability. I've never had any problems with CRF clutches dating back to my first 2002 CRF450R. I tried 13/51 gearing my first race, thinking this bike would be like my previous 250Rs and need some help down low... it would have been great for Arenacross, but was waaaay to low for outdoors and I was shifting all the time. Stock gearing on a 2012 is really good. I'm happier with my 14/51, but am going to raise the engagement RPM of my auto clutch a little for the next round to keep the engine in the power band.

Guess I will just have to wait and see what happens with the clutches as I have never had a problem with honda clutches either. Just installed the hour meter. Ever hear any good reviews on Bills Pipes? I always try to shop for a good deal and they seem pretty decent but I don't see them around to often.

Congrats on saving up and getting a new bike, great feeling i know.

-Tear it down, grease the steering stem,rear brake pivot bolt, Linkage and swingarm needle bearings. I take each needle bearing out and clean it put synthetic grease on it then re install. maybe a bit overkill buts its winter nothing but time.

- Grease the brake pins as they get very hot and can have a little bindage.

- Make sure your air box is sealed. Plug up the line that goes to the top of the airbox, then go from the valve cover straight down to where it sits by the front sprocket and leave that open.

-Grease the clutch levers and the front brake lever.

-You may like the mx51 front, i didnt really like it, pirelli mxms is my fav if your not digging the dunlop.

- Check your fluids

-make sure the airfilter is oiled properly, ive had a few bad ones

- run it hard for the first while after its up to temp, break in is crucial. Change the oil after, keep a petroleum based oil in it for the first 2-3 hours and change the oil plus filterevery hour. Get all that shit out.

-Do the suspension before anything. motors pretty solid!

Thank You very much! Ya i did notice that i would want to maybe change the gearing a little bit and also thinking about some works connection radiator guards. Did you experience any issues with your clutch before swapping it out as I have heard some reviews saying it fades really bad(i haven't had enough time on it I don't think)

I had more fade than on my '10. Hinson has some stiffer clutch springs that took care of the problem. I may be wrong, but I don't think Bill's Pipes is around anymore. I bought a lot of 2 stroke pipes from them several years back.

thanks everyone for the replies. I already have everything all greased up changed the oil up again has about 2 hrs on it finally got to hit some jumps and ride a little bit harder and suspension seems pretty decent for now i'll fine tune it and see what I can get out of it. Thank You again!