XR650L trans gear replacement - single or the pair?

My son's 1993 Honda XR650L transmission developed a problem where it would jump out of 2nd gear.

Split the cases and found slight wear on that one shifter fork, and slight wear on the 2nd gear "slots" where the adjacent gear dogs engage and slight wear on the adjacent gear dogs (5th gear) that do the engaging.

So, I need the shifter fork and the 2nd gear and the 5th gear. But, do I need the PAIR of 2nd gears and the PAIR of 5th gears? Is it 'good practice' to replace them as a pair, or just the one that's bad?

Neither gear has any sign of wear on the teeth or any other issues. Just on the engagement dogs on the one and the engagement slots on the other.

I'm inclined to just replace the two individual gears, but didn't want to wind up with some new, odd problem (like poor shifting or gear whine) due to one old / one new mating pair.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kirk

My son's 1993 Honda XR650L transmission developed a problem where it would jump out of 2nd gear.

Split the cases and found slight wear on that one shifter fork, and slight wear on the 2nd gear "slots" where the adjacent gear dogs engage and slight wear on the adjacent gear dogs (5th gear) that do the engaging.

So, I need the shifter fork and the 2nd gear and the 5th gear. But, do I need the PAIR of 2nd gears and the PAIR of 5th gears? Is it 'good practice' to replace them as a pair, or just the one that's bad?

Neither gear has any sign of wear on the teeth or any other issues. Just on the engagement dogs on the one and the engagement slots on the other.

I'm inclined to just replace the two individual gears, but didn't want to wind up with some new, odd problem (like poor shifting or gear whine) due to one old / one new mating pair.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Kirk

Replace the fork,and only the gears that the dogs and slots show wear,,the gears on the other shaft do not need replacing unless wear is seen...

B

If I ever need a new second gear, I'm replacing it with the one for the NX650 which isn't such a jump from first to second. If I needed to replace fifth gear, I would do the same, since I hear that the NX650 fifth is a bit higher. Those are the only two I would want to replace.

And of course, I would need to replace both to do it.

Well, maybe not. Some threads I've read here indicate that only ONE gear needs to be replaces in the NX-upgrade deal. Apparently, only ONE of the pair that make up a gear set is different in the NX from the XR-L. Different base diameter and different number of teeth, etc. but still the same fit.

And further, apparently that NX 5th gear is only available from European suppliers. Kinda rare, I guess.

So, there you go.

?