Sign in to follow this  

crf250 hard to start

i might buy a crf250 that is hard to start.he guy said his friend rejetted it.why would it be hard to start and what would i have to do to get it to start easy?:lol::ride:

could be a few things...dirty carb, valves need to be adjusted, jetting bad, worn out engine parts. Most of the time its Valve adjustment. What year is it?

Since its a used bike I like to assume the worst so I can fit that into the budget. So I would put my money on valve issues... Kid probably doesnt have the money to have the valves adjusted correctly or replaced so he wants to get rid of it before one lets go.

I have an 08 crf 250 also and mine was hard to start in the cold aswell. If you hold the choke half on (full is too much) then the bike should start right up. If that doesn't work then turn the gas off and lay the bike over to let the gas out of the carb and then give it some kicks.

Anyway thats what I do with mine and it works very well!

possibly valves, jetting, or it could simply be the technique being used to start it. if you can get it for a good price it would probably be worth spending a little money on a valve job.

Cold starting technique should be, turn choke on twist throttle 3-4 times to prime carb with gas. Solid kick from the top of the stroke. should only take 2 or 3 kicks to get it going. If that doesnt work pull the head cover and check the valve clearance.

Jetting should be 40-42 pilot, 172-175 main, stock needle with the clip 3 down from the top.

Each bike is very technique specific, keith has the jetting correct, mine takes 3 or 4 quick wicks in the cold (50 degrees or less) with choke and TDC then it sputters or runs, second kick three wicks TDC and the same, if it doesn't fire up on the second kick, I use the hot start with the third kick TDC and it fires right up.

You need to check the valves or atleast budget some money for a valve job if its unknown. Just becausr someone "jetted" it, doesn't mean they knew $h!t from shin-o-la. I've seen many bike that some expert "jetted" that were super wacky.