Sign in to follow this  

09 YZ250F Setup (US Spec)

I just got myself a us spec 2009 yz250f. Having searched the web for setup information related to jetting and suspension, I can only get information that was tested by motocross action and dirt rider magazines.

Can i just follow their recommendation as a starting point becasue i believe their tests were based on the non-us models. There are differences in jetting needle, and the stock suspension baseline. If not, where can I get information about optimal settings for the us model as a starting point?

Thanks.

I can only get information that was tested by motocross action and dirt rider magazines.

i believe their tests were based on the non-us models.

Thanks.

The test i saw MXA do was for a US spec. Are you saying you read a MXA article specifically about the AUS model? What were the specs you read from mxa?

MXA is based in California. Don't think they would try to import a non-US bike to test it. Way too much red tape and I am sure Yamaha would have given them a local bike as well.

The base setting, needle etc in the write ups were the non us models so I assumed they were testing the non us model.

For example, the needle used in the test is nhkr as opposed to nflr for the us/cdn model. Also the standard clip position in the write up is #4 groove rather than the us/cdn model that is #5 groove as indicated in my service manual.

http://www.dirtrider.com/features/141_0903_2009_250f_mx_shootout/viewall.html

Edited by Reaching40
Additional Details

if you are worried about the jetting,just get a jd jet kit and your bike will run fine.then just set the sag and put your clickers in the middle,just to see where you are at.these are awesome bikes and very easy to tune.they also respond very well to mods,and the reliability is top notch.peace and wheelies.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I've set everything back to stock as indicated in the manual, set the sag and will give it a go at the track tomorrow. Just thought if I could get the test riders' base settings will be a better baseline.

I had a wr250f with the jd kit installed and that was good. Will get the suspension revalved next then see if I need the Jd kit.