Sign in to follow this  

91 kdx 250 or keep my 86 xr 250

hey guys, im wanting to get some input on the kdx250s. how did they sum up? ive never rode a kdx. i know that the 200s are proven machines. but i dont hear any about the 250. anyways, i havew an xr250 now and im wondering if the kdx is abetter machine. i kow they both will need alittle suspension work for my size. anybody could give some input i'd be grateful. thanks. tony

I've not owned those, but I've ridden both of the bikes you mentioned enough to get a feel for them.

The XR is physically smaller and the power feels smooth and harmless.

The handling feel of the bike is well-suited to tighter going, as is the power output.

The suspension is pretty soft, intended for trail use.

A close riding buddy rode a 1987 model (practically identical to your 1986 model) for a few years, so I got to know the bike pretty well.

Personally, I always felt the bike lacked some low-end thumpity torque compared to the previous generation of non-RFVC XR-250Rs from 1981 and 1982, although the bike definitely was smaller, more compact, and lighter.

The 1991-1994 KDX-250 was actually a dual-purpose bike sold overseas, stripped of it's street lighting and instrumentation, and sold here as an off-road bike to compliment the KDX-200.

Compared to the 1986 XR-250R, it's physically larger, feels bigger, and has noticably more power, snap, and get-up-and-go.

The power is also pretty smooth, combined with the typical 2-stroke snap when you want it - a pretty good compromise.

It's not as quick as a full-on 2-stroke 250cc motocross bike of the same time period, but it will run away from the XR-250R given the terrain and space to do so.

By the way, the 1991-1994 KDX-250 shares little with any KDX-200, in case you were wondering.

It is it's own design.

In my opinion, if you're a bigger guy and/or looking for a dirt bike with more snap and acelleration, the KDX an't too bad as long as it's not a P.O.S.

You may also want to pm a member here called chokey (?) He is a kdx 250 master and would definitely steer you in that direction. You'll get a much stronger motor in the kdx, but there's not a huge weight descrepancy between the xr and the kdx, as the green bike's a bit of a porker too for a 2-smoke. You'll get better suspension in the kdx, but the front may still need a re-spring. Never owned one, nor have I owned an xr 250, but have ridden several. I find them to be fine bikes for putting around trails and doing some light enduro work. I wouldn't put the xr in the same class as the kdx 250. One's for play, the other can go out and win a harescramble in the right hands.