Sign in to follow this  

Which USD's for an XR?

Hey folks, I'm thinking about a USD conversion for my XR600R, I know the popular mod is CR250's.

I don't mind machining bits but how difficult is it to keep my original wheels? I have excel supermoto wheels on talon hubs and the 21"/18" wheels for the weekends. Also will the XR caliper fit?

cr500s fit, but why bother.you would have to rebuild them ,then spring them too.

those xr600 forks are fine for trails and occasional mx.they did win bajas on them.

what year bike?

cr500s fit, but why bother.you would have to rebuild them ,then spring them too.

those xr600 forks are fine for trails and occasional mx.they did win bajas on them.

what year bike?

+1 :lol:

nah.

My 2002 CR125 USD forks are every bit as nice as the sent off to be tuned and sprung stock XR400 forks.

Because they were race bikes they came with much stiffer fork springs that work very well on the heavier XR's. I'm 240lbs and they are perfect. Tuning also seems to work very well AS IS. They soak up the sharp edged potholes that used to CRASH old time forks.

That said, given your wheel setup it would be silly to make that swap, lose two front wheels and have to buy another. You also lose your speedo drive unless you find a rare and expensive (ask me how I know) CRF-X wheel or hub.

Just get your stockers tuned and you'll be just as good and get to keep your wheels.

You likely wont get the desired results with old CR500 forks. With the tight parameters that you have placed on the deal, you likely are going to do best keeping your OEM boingers. Like MindBlower said, a modern set of USD forks is in a different league than the forks that came stock on your bike. If you are going to stay close to the pavement with an occasional blast down a dirt road... the stockers are probably the ticket. If you want to "ride it like you stole it" in places where a big XR probably doesn't belong, the stockers are a liability.:lol:

You likely wont get the desired results with old CR500 forks. With the tight parameters that you have placed on the deal, you likely are going to do best keeping your OEM boingers. Like MindBlower said, a modern set of USD forks is in a different league than the forks that came stock on your bike. If you are going to stay close to the pavement with an occasional blast down a dirt road... the stockers are probably the ticket. If you want to "ride it like you stole it" in places where a big XR probably doesn't belong, the stockers are a liability.:lol:

This is why I decided to pick up a different bike. The big old pig does not like racing, jumps, or tight spots. Easier just to get something that is better suited.

• Like 1

Thanks for all your replies, not quite the answers I was hoping for though!!!

MindBlower: I have a digital speedo so I dont have to worry about that side of things.

I should have mentioned as well that my forks were re-built and set up by Maxton, so they work very well.

And now your wondering why I asked about USD's in the first place?

They look the dogs danglies!!!

This is why I decided to pick up a different bike. The big old pig does not like racing, jumps, or tight spots. Easier just to get something that is better suited.

That's too easy... I've never been one to take the shortest line between two points:smirk:

MindBlower: I have a digital speedo so I dont have to worry about that side of things.

I should have mentioned as well that my forks were re-built and set up by Maxton, so they work very well.

If you aren't married to the stock speedo then things get easier. If you find a set of forks that are fairly common, finding an extra wheel shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Dog's Dangles:lol:

2011-10-30140829.jpg

good luck with it.

it will handle better once you get the usds sorted, but there are just going to be a fair few obstacles in your way.

i used to take my xr600 out on mx/sx tracks and did surprisingly well.

the biggest downfall was the foot pegs where they mount on the frame. its the frame thats the weak spot on those bikes..... then again, i never did trust those anorexic spokes on the wheels either :lol: but it did handle surprisingly well.

If you aren't married to the stock speedo then things get easier. If you find a set of forks that are fairly common, finding an extra wheel shouldn't be too much of a stretch.

Dog's Dangles:lol:

2011-10-30140829.jpg

I like the stock speedo but you would have to get a pair of RSW tree's..

Best bet is to get some of the newer Showa's from a 04 and up CRF. They can be had on eBay for around $200 US.

The brake caliper is the same, but the hangar is different. Easy to source from eBay as well.

DO IT.

All of my XR's have USD's and they are great!!!

I even use CR/CRF wheels on the rear.

The USD's are a big improvement. I have 47mm Showa's on one of my XR's, and 46mm Ohlins on the other. The Ohlins are better. CR wheels are a dime a dozen on eBay, and you can always re-lace the SM font wheel. Then sell the XR forks, front wheel and Hub from SM to offset the costs.

FWIW, I use CRF SM wheels (front and rear) on my bike too, just need custom spacers and/or bearings to make them work.

OK monkey boy.

From 05 and later are the best Showa forks,and 06 and later in KYB if you want the best nd can afford it.

Most any USD is better than the stockers the older 46mm KYB spring and oil forks aren't as good as thetypes I've suggested but they are easy to work on and give a pretty good ride as well.

I see Scott S used conventionals . If it's good enough for him I think I need to learn.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/dirt_bike/141_0502_honda_crf450r_replica/viewall.html

I put my XR650R forks on my CRF 450 and it was a much better bike in the snot.

The USD's went on the big XR and it was/is a much better bike at speed.

The CRF 's ultra stiff frame needed some flex,and the XR650 needed some weight reduction and pointiness/stiffening so I AM A HAPPY CAMPER.

Yea if you're in the same class as Summers you might benefit from a set up like his but and I am not even close but these set ups works for me.:lol: