Sign in to follow this  

Loosing coolant

I have a 2000 Cr250. When I come back from 2 hour rides my coolant level is always low. It looses 4 or 5 ounces every time. Any ideas?

well if it was a hose wouldn't it leak when it is in my garage. And what does it do when it gets into the cylinder?

check your tranny oil if it milky thats bad lol / and do a compression test fill her right up before you do the compression test and leave the radiator cap off if you see bubbles you know you gots a problem

and if the leak is bad enough you will see it on your plug will be burning differant

or do a radiator pressure test , if your pressure drops you have a leak somewhere and the pressure will force it out where its leaking so if its a hose expect a puddle lol

if its in your head expect a full chamber of water

you will see the pressure droping just kleep forceing the pressure in untill you find the leak could take 2 secounds could take an hour depending on the size of the hole

just dont pressurize it to much last think you want is to blow a hose or worse a hole in the radiator then you will never find it

if your filling it to the top it is always going to expand some out the vent hose when hot. Try filling to the top of the fins and see if it uses any.

if your filling it to the top it is always going to expand some out the vent hose when hot. Try filling to the top of the fins and see if it uses any.

try this 1st

yeah sorry forgot about that

+1 what high marker just said

if what highmarker said fail's do as i said above , if you dont have a pressure tester see your local car mechenic prob do it as a freebie or a quick $10 cashie

(petrol/diesel mechanic for 6 years as back up proof i know what im talking about same principle apply's to diagnostics on car's and bike's )

Ok I filled it up full earlier today so tomorrow after riding ill see what happens and try what highmarker said first.

Ok I filled it up full earlier today so tomorrow after riding ill see what happens and try what highmarker said first.

also if its entering the chamber you should be noticeing a power drop if its enough leaking

also should bog down more and just not be running the same

but if its been leaking for awile now you prob have not even noticed

so feels normal

if it is entering the chamber when you get it fixed you will feel and hear the differance

Yeah so I didnt go riding today so tomorrow I'll have some more news, and what happens if you see bubbles?

try filling it all the way. then let the bike run for a few min. then check it again it might go down a little and then fill it back up. this is to get air pockets out of it. i have also seen bikes burn coolent, when the head gasket is bad and make sure your running 50/50 because if it isnt most of the water will just steam away.

Came back today and it was lower than the top of the fins. I noticed it dripping when I stopped for a minute riding but I couldn't see where because of my skid plate so I took it off just now and well see tomorrow.

You can have a bad head gasket and then the combustion pressure will push your coolant right out the overflow hose. Had this happen with a tusk head gasket. Installed a factory honda gasket and no more coolant loss.

if you drain the oil and find that it's milky, it's probably the water pump seals. there's two of them, the oil seal and the other is a water seal. when this same thing was happening to me, i found that the PO had the oil seal in backwards!! i easily figured out how my coolant was disappearing after that.

yep, 12 and 13 only, i didn't need to replace the gasket, it was in good condition. Not a hard job to replace the seals, just make sure you put em' in the right way!!