Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a real good chain.

I'm currently running a 12 front X 50 rear. In one ride,(40 + miles) this gearing set up has stretched my chain so badly it fell off. I like this gearing for the type of riding I'm doing. The snap I'm getting from the gearing combo is what I'm looking for. I'm going to get a new chain and sprocket kit. I'm going with a 13 front X 52 rear. What chain would you recommend? I'm looking for the toughest non o ring chain out there.

Thanks!!

Why are you against o-ring chains?

DID chains are very good, the VT2 narrow x-ring chain has very little stretch....but it has x-rings. I have also had good luck with the standard DID gold chain.

RK chains also seem to be durable chains.

I'm currently running a 12 front X 50 rear. In one ride,(40 + miles) this gearing set up has stretched my chain so badly it fell off. I like this gearing for the type of riding I'm doing. The snap I'm getting from the gearing combo is what I'm looking for. I'm going to get a new chain and sprocket kit. I'm going with a 13 front X 52 rear. What chain would you recommend? I'm looking for the toughest non o ring chain out there.

Thanks!!

if you destroyed a chain in 40 miles either you had it misaligned or you had a defective chain IMO. i just did 65+ miles today on this old ass did ert2 chain. still in spec. the kicker is...i use no chain lube whatsoever. just some wd 40 after washing it to keep the rust away.

d.i.d ert2

agreed. on my second one in like over 3 years. only replaced the first because i figured sooner or later its gonna snap and leave me stranded somewhere even though it never has.

if you destroyed a chain in 40 miles either you had it misaligned or you had a defective chain IMO. i just did 65+ miles today on this old ass did ert2 chain. still in spec. the kicker is...i use no chain lube whatsoever. just some wd 40 after washing it to keep the rust away.

Actually it was 40 plus miles on this new gearing not the chain. I've concluded it not to be a defective chain or alignment. It was a combination of:

1. Throwing a new front sprocket on with a half way worn chain.

2. Running a crappy chain in the mud.

Upon further research on TT I found this;

http://www.dirttricks.com/Chain-Wear.htm

So I'm going to buy a quality chain and sprocket system for off road wet conditions. Thanks for the DID ERT2 recommendation, but I thinking of going with an X ring or O ring DID chain.

Actually it was 40 plus miles on this new gearing not the chain. I've concluded it not to be a defective chain or alignment. It was a combination of:

1. Throwing a new front sprocket on with a half way worn chain.

2. Running a crappy chain in the mud.

Upon further research on TT I found this;

http://www.dirttricks.com/Chain-Wear.htm

So I'm going to buy a quality chain and sprocket system for off road wet conditions. Thanks for the DID ERT2 recommendation, but I thinking of going with an X ring or O ring DID chain.

make sure you can fix an x ring or o ring chain. the did is supposedly very good and is designed to fit in low clearance situations. the rk xw ring chain i bought did not fit and a friend had his primary drive o ring chain contact his case and gouge it.

you shouldnt have any issues with the DID vt2 chain.

That Regina chain is very wide and will rub on the engine case. Plain o-ring seals don't work as well as the modern x-rings.

Most X rings don't rub the CR case then?

The DID 520VT2 and and RK GB520MXU are narrow sealed chains that will fit all bikes without rubbing the case. Most other sealed chains are wider and hit the case on some bikes.

• Like 1

Most X rings don't rub the CR case then?

the rk gb520exw is the "xw" ring chain i tried on my cr. it was just as wide as my friends primary drive chain which rubbed his case, so i sold it before i ran it. i dont know about the mxu width and RK doesnt really mention that its a narrow chain, but CamP's info is usually spot on.

btw, when i bought my wiseco botton end kit, thumpertalk matched oemcycles price, so it wouldnt hurt to pick that VT up from TT and have them match oem cycles price.

does steel sprockes put more load on the tranny? how come?

No, steel sprockets won't put more load on the tranny.

How about the renthal o ring chain? Think it might rub the case? 02 cr 250.

The Renthal o-ring chain is wider than the x-ring chains I mentioned previously. The Renthal chain is actually made by Regina and it's identical to the Regina o-ring chain. If you want to be absolutely sure that the chain doesn't hit the case, use the narrow VT2 or MXU chains. The x-rings also have far less friction than the old fashioned o-ring chains so they produce less drag.

How about the renthal o ring chain? Think it might rub the case? 02 cr 250.

I've snapped not one but two renthal chains both o ring and switched to a did x ring. I used the did for many rides in all conditions and eventually bought a second did to replace it. I put the new did in my tool box and assumed I'd wait for the first one to be on its last limb and that chain held up great. It's obvious I'm a did guy lol what about the side winder chains? Always wondered if they're as good as they make them out to be.