Sign in to follow this  

Specs of rust showing up on my engine

I am beginning to see these very small specs of rust all over parts of my bike, mainly on the engine and pipe. it actually seems to have been very recent, like since the last time i rode and didnt wash all the mud off my bike. is washing after each ride that important? is there any way to get rid of these rust specs? thanks

is washing after each ride that important?

to some people it is, i always washes my bikes after every ride. unless i was driving home a long way or im just beat, i NEVER go over 3 days with out washing. washing will help.

What kind of bike? Most engines are aluminum, so if your engine is aluminum then it is not rust you are seeing, It could still be a form of oxidation, or it could be something completely different.

corrosion of aluminum is rust, just not iron rust...

In the metal finishing industry "rust" is iron oxide. Aluminum oxide is different. If you are seeing red/brown spots on aluminum it could be from a few different things. It can be impurities embedded in the aluminum that are reacting, or it could just be dirt itself that has become embedded in the aluminum, especially if the dirt has iron or clay in it.

I am beginning to see these very small specs of rust all over parts of my bike, mainly on the engine and pipe. it actually seems to have been very recent, like since the last time i rode and didnt wash all the mud off my bike. is washing after each ride that important? is there any way to get rid of these rust specs? thanks

Is brushing after each meal important?

Is wiping your ass important?

Dirt is corrosive, and will destroy metals and plastics.

You already know the answer.

Go put a bearing even with grease in a damp muddy place an let it sit a week or so, see how it looks. There are rubber and paper seals/gaskets all over your bike, what do you think water and mud do to those?