Sign in to follow this  

DR650se seat, tires and light question

Just bought an 04' dr650 in great shape! Went on a 90 mile ride today, and as many of you have stated..... the seat sucks. It is the low cut version. Cant slide back on it, and it killed my back. Im 6'0 and very flat footed on the bike, so a normal seat would be fine, height wise. Will an 06' stocker fit on an 04'? Saw one on e-bay. Will it be any better on longer rides? Ok, next question. The bike has street tires on it, and it seems to wander a bit in the turns. Front is pretty good, but the back is getting close to needing replaced. It also came with a great set of dual-sport tires. I know they will wear faster, but wondering your thoughts on how they would compare handling wise on the road. I will ride 95% of the time on the road, and if i take it off pavement, it would be on a dirt or gravel road, or maybe a field. OK, Last question.... Do they make a kit that can make my turn signals marker or running lights also? Woud love to have more light on the bike for drivers to see. Thank you very much for any info! Rick

Would need to read up on your motor vechicles codes, and see if it's legal. Not sure even if it wasn't they would inforce it.

Seat: I solved the seat-problem by building my own right from the seatpan. Some tools and enough common sense and you will end up better than before. On this occasion I not only made the seat wider, but also higher - now it fits my 36" inseam well.

Tires: I "inherited" Pirelli MT60s from the PO, stone-age date, but still in working order. To be on the safe side I replaced them with Heidenau K60 Scout (130/80-17 back). This is a real dualsport-tire, but works as well as the Pirellis (I frequently ride with supermoto-KTMs) on the road. I had expected to encounter more vibration due to the larger distance between knobs, but was pleasantly surprised. Another noticeable difference was the effortless front wheel handling compared to more street-oriented tires. Again, without real disadvantages on the road.

Lights: Well, I try to be home before dark ... Compared to other DS-bikes I don´t consider the stock light to be that bad, honestly. A good bulb, clean front lens and non-tinted visor/goggles and it works as you could expect. Various riders have swapped lights to MX-lights (lighter, but not road legal or not better than stock, just for looks) or HID (commonly way more output at lower consumption, but quality of available sets seems to vary a lot).

Electrical Connection (www.electricalconnection.com) makes a little kit that converts your rear turn signals to brake (red), turn (amber or red - I have amber), and running (red). I put on a clear lens although they say you don't have to. Their added light is a red LED ring that goes around your base bulb, although I also have an amber LED for the base (turn) light. Works great.

Can't use that on the front because it's red but, (thinking here, which is pretty dangerous for me) if one used their circuit on a regular LED bulb, I wonder if that wouldn't alow it to be on or flash? Hmmm. Anyway they work great on the rear!

Seat, custom from Eds Supermoto in Albany, Oregon. Wonderful seat. Never get tired. 450 one way trip this summer. My but felt just fine. There are lots of options but I love my seat from Eds Supermoto. Don Weber is the best. Thanks

Thanx for the replies guys. As far as lighting, im not really looking to increase my visability, but more so increase other drivers ability to see me. The more they can see of me the better. We put a set of led's that flash on the rear of my dads v-strom when he hits the brake. Im kinda liking that. They flash very quick, so not to be confused with a blinker. They get my attention.