Sign in to follow this  

New Owner - 2012 KTM300XC - Rear Fender/Airbox now integrated ??

Well this die hard RED rider made the plunge today and picked up a 2012 KTM 300XC. Still have my beloved heavily modded 08 CRF450R though.

I will not be providing any ride reports until next spring as there is snow where I live.

So the plans are to build this machine up over the winter.

I will have a number of questions along the way, so appreciate any input as this is my first 2 stroke.

Stripped the bike of plastic tonight ... well ALMOST all plastic. Not too keen on finding a one piece ALL WHITE "integrated air box/rear number plates"..... How does one change the colour of the bike?.

First Question:

1. Can you buy new plastic number plates / rear fender /airbox unit (the new one piece unit) to change the colour of the bike?? Was the 2011 model the same or is this new "all in one" airbox/side number unit part of the 2012 redesign??

Am I stuck with any colour .... as long as its WHITE :)

Will have more questions along the way, but I don't want to ask too many in one post.:lol:

Edited by supervokes

Take a road trip south to Belfair, WA over the winter and woods ride all day long. no need to wait until spring!

Joe

:lol: I would love to ... :):ride::banghead:

Only thing holding me back right now is MONEY ... I am much poorer today (with the new smoker) than I was yesterday. Us Canadians pay a fortune for bikes :cheers:

Until this darn snow melts (4 months plus) ... I'll just have to sit on my bike an practice my 2 stoke sound :smirk:

Ahhhh, I'm in kamloops. Heading to the coast soon, wet but no snow. Your welcome to come. I have a 2012 250xc. You can get the complete rear section through polisport. Where in BC you at? These bikes are amazing BTW. I hope suspension is on your list for upgrades. It is great stock but depending on riding style and weight you might need to go up or down. I through on a GP4 stabilizer, like KTMs of the old, it is a must. Take the steering lock nuts out and replace them with a screw but no nut. KTMs turning radius kinda sucks otherwise. Wire the throttle cable to the carb as it has been known to pull out and the bike sticks wide open. Congrats on the new purchase. Where did you buy from and may I ask what you paid? I was less then 10k OTD.

You can get the rear section of the airbox (plates) in black, white or orange.

The 2011 KTMs airbox is black.

Get a new throttle cable for your bike.

Motion pro sells two different cables.

Black (+4") #02-0247

T3 (gray +4") #10-3000

The black cable looks just like the stock cable.

The T3 is gray and screws into the throttle and carb. The reason for this is so that the cable doesn't have to be safety wired. It can't be pulled out of the throttle or carb.

You can also get one from Tucker Rocky.

Black (+4") # 06-2247. This cable is for a CR250 (1990-2003) pg.182.

This is the cable that I use on my bikes. I have one on my 05' 85sx, 07' 85sx 06' 250sx and my 11' 150sx. I also had one on my old bike (01' 250sx).

All KTM 2t bikes use the same cable, well I don't know about the 50cc or 65cc bikes because I never owned one of those.

The reason for the extra length is so it can be routed behind the front plate instead of behind the triple clamps.

Thanks guys ...

I am taking notes and will be making those mods (among many others) :lol:

Pumpkin450 ... I live in the Loops as well. Maybe we can hook up for a rip when this damn snow melts :)

Will be posting lots of questions over the next 3 months, so really appreciate the input. I know 4T's ... but the 2T's are all new to me. :banghead:

Thanks guys ...

I am taking notes and will be making those mods (among many others) :lol:

Pumpkin450 ... I live in the Loops as well. Maybe we can hook up for a rip when this damn snow melts :)

Will be posting lots of questions over the next 3 months, so really appreciate the input. I know 4T's ... but the 2T's are all new to me. :banghead:

Nice, actually we're heading out today for a ride at greenstone. Could always use more people to ride with.

Nice, actually we're heading out today for a ride at greenstone. Could always use more people to ride with.

I wish ..

My bikes are hibernating until spring. I need to strip down my CRF450R and sell it off to help pay for this 300XC :lol:

Damn bike costs more than my car !!! :)

Take a road trip south to Belfair, WA over the winter and woods ride all day long. no need to wait until spring!

Joe

no need to travel that far, just head over to chilliwack and ride vedder for a day then spend a day at mcnutt.

come on down!

no need to travel that far, just head over to chilliwack and ride vedder for a day then spend a day at mcnutt.

come on down!

I'm coming to Mcnutt this week! Epic.