Sign in to follow this  

torque converter/transmission question

I have a 01 7.3 F250 and upon take off the truck revs up high but gets going very slow and some times has a slight shudder from transmission area. When I am pulling with a load It seems to be fine but if I am just driving around town every time you take off from a stop the truck is slow to get going. I think it is the torque converter but I am far from an expert I was hoping to get some of your guys input.

Also is it still drive able or will I do more damage to it if I keep driving? I need to save up some cash before I can get it fixed.

Also the trany oil level is good and was change 15k ago to a synthetic AMS oil. Transmission has about 60k miles on it.

Thanks

Thank! I'm already on my 2nd transmission, now I have to do it a 3rd time with only 80k miles on the truck. This sucks. The first time Jiffy lube dump out the fluid and put in engine oil (idiots) so they bought it. Does any one know of a good place in WA that can repair the transmission?

Check out some of the local diesel performance shops, usually they can or have rebuilt models for cheap because most guys that go there buy built up transmissions, not stock. May want to think about an upgraded flex plate as well, not unheard of for them to crack.

That's my knowledge on the subject, I bought a 6-spd to avoid just these issues.

Best of luck!

.....Jiffy lube.....

'Nuff said right there.

I got caught up in the "I don't have time to do basic maintenance" thing a few years back. After seeing what Jiffy Lube and Grease Monkey type service shops do I will MAKE the time to do it myself. From the basic mistakes like motor oil in the trans, to flat out lying about performing services that they never even did. One actually brought me a cabin air filter that was really dirty and said I should replace it. Interesting thing was, I had replaced it the weekend before taking the truck in- WASN'T EVEN MY CABIN AIR FILTER!!!!! Needless to say I made a little scene and the manager refunded all of my money. I am sure he wanted me out of his store ASAP.

As for your transmission, I second going to one of the diesel shops to see what they have as a rebuilt to stock spec transmission. Do the upgraded torque converter while you're there as well as the flex plate and if you treat it nicely you won't have to ever dig into this again.

• Like 1

'Nuff said right there.

I got caught up in the "I don't have time to do basic maintenance" thing a few years back. After seeing what Jiffy Lube and Grease Monkey type service shops do I will MAKE the time to do it myself. From the basic mistakes like motor oil in the trans, to flat out lying about performing services that they never even did. One actually brought me a cabin air filter that was really dirty and said I should replace it. Interesting thing was, I had replaced it the weekend before taking the truck in- WASN'T EVEN MY CABIN AIR FILTER!!!!! Needless to say I made a little scene and the manager refunded all of my money. I am sure he wanted me out of his store ASAP.

As for your transmission, I second going to one of the diesel shops to see what they have as a rebuilt to stock spec transmission. Do the upgraded torque converter while you're there as well as the flex plate and if you treat it nicely you won't have to ever dig into this again.

Never understood why some shops do this-there's plenty of work out there, and plenty of vehicles that truly need attention/repairs. There's no reason to make stuff up.

It sounds like your trans is going deep-6 on ya. If the fluid isn't stinking, it's full, and it's shuddering and slipping, it's not a good sign.

Quick question....did this by chance start when you put the synthetic fluid in? Maybe try dumping that and putting conventional back in?

I bought the truck from my brother in 04 he had jiffy lube give it a oil change and they dumped the trany fluid, I have never taken the truck there I have always done my own fluid changes.

When I put in the synthetic oil roughly 4 yrs ago I felt it actual made the truck shift smoother. I started to notice this issue begining of last summer it just has recently became very noticable. Still runs great once you get going it just feels sluggish on take off with a breif/slight shudder. I will go ahead and take it to our local desail repair shop and see what they say and get a quote. Any one have any ideas on how much a rebuilt or new trany and install will cost?

One piece or 2 piece driveshaft? How are U Joints? If its a 2pc shaft, how old is the carrier bearing? That would create shudder as well....

I bought the truck from my brother in 04 he had jiffy lube give it a oil change and they dumped the trany fluid, I have never taken the truck there I have always done my own fluid changes.

When I put in the synthetic oil roughly 4 yrs ago I felt it actual made the truck shift smoother. I started to notice this issue begining of last summer it just has recently became very noticable. Still runs great once you get going it just feels sluggish on take off with a breif/slight shudder. I will go ahead and take it to our local desail repair shop and see what they say and get a quote. Any one have any ideas on how much a rebuilt or new trany and install will cost?

$2500 to the sky's the limit, depending on how bomb proof you want to make it.

Thank! I'm already on my 2nd transmission, now I have to do it a 3rd time with only 80k miles on the truck. This sucks. The first time Jiffy lube dump out the fluid and put in engine oil (idiots) so they bought it. Does any one know of a good place in WA that can repair the transmission?

What area in Washington. East end of McChord is "Caseys Transplant" (see it from 512, right next to the chain link fencing place), and in Kirkland, is Kirkland Transmissions.

Both of these places with get you first class repair, not a slap it together as cheap as possible type fix. And they will replace known weak parts with updated stronger components. Let them know how you use it, ie heavy towing or whatnot.

Shudder and also be ujoint, a stiff one will shudder. Remove it and move the joints on each axis. Should be smooth. But the sluggish on take off...

Does it feel as if its taking off in too high of a gear? When it feels sluggish, can you try manually pulling the shifter into low gear and see if it gets its pep back? If it has an open solenoid, it can try to start off in a higher gear, but you'd usually get a code.

Shudder and also be ujoint, a stiff one will shudder. Remove it and move the joints on each axis. Should be smooth. But the sluggish on take off...

Does it feel as if its taking off in too high of a gear? When it feels sluggish, can you try manually pulling the shifter into low gear and see if it gets its pep back? If it has an open solenoid, it can try to start off in a higher gear, but you'd usually get a code.

It feels like the motor is going but the truck isn't keeping up, as you press on the gas the engine reves up but the truck is trying to catch up. If that makes any sense. But it doesn't feel like it is slipping I have had that happen on other vehicles. I am sure it is a trans issue of some kind.

$2500 to the sky's the limit, depending on how bomb proof you want to make it.

I only hope I can get it done for $2500 don't need much more then stock I only drive the truck around 5k miles a year usually in the summer pulling our trailer or use the truck to haul firewood other then that a few trips to the hardware stores and the then the truck just sits in the garage.

What area in Washington. East end of McChord is "Caseys Transplant" (see it from 512, right next to the chain link fencing place), and in Kirkland, is Kirkland Transmissions.

Both of these places with get you first class repair, not a slap it together as cheap as possible type fix. And they will replace known weak parts with updated stronger components. Let them know how you use it, ie heavy towing or whatnot.

I am in Snohomish, we have a ford dealership and a place called dynamic desial. I am thinking of takeing it to these places to get a quote so I can get an idea on how much I need to save up then look around for a good shop I will look into Kirkland Transmissions they are not to far away.

It feels like the motor is going but the truck isn't keeping up, as you press on the gas the engine reves up but the truck is trying to catch up. If that makes any sense. But it doesn't feel like it is slipping I have had that happen on other vehicles. I am sure it is a trans issue of some kind.

Ah, we call that slipping. I assume fluid level is good. And if it is, I bet its a nice dark brown color now.

I only hope I can get it done for $2500 don't need much more then stock I only drive the truck around 5k miles a year usually in the summer pulling our trailer or use the truck to haul firewood other then that a few trips to the hardware stores and the then the truck just sits in the garage.

I had a buddy who had an 04 Ford Exploder with a ATM that dook a dump (normal after 60K miles) and it was last year with the economy so slow (it still is slow), they came and towed it to their shop (35 miles) fixed it for $1800. They was hungry for work (Puyallup place, maybe Aamco).

$2500 seems to be about the going price including labor etc.

Ah, we call that slipping. I assume fluid level is good. And if it is, I bet its a nice dark brown color now.

Yup fluid level is good maybe a touch high now, but it still a bright red no discoloration.

The truck drives just fine once your moving and also I was hauling my trailer the other day and if felt great even when starting from a stop I was really expecting the the opposite.

Yup fluid level is good maybe a touch high now, but it still a bright red no discoloration.

The truck drives just fine once your moving and also I was hauling my trailer the other day and if felt great even when starting from a stop I was really expecting the the opposite.

Sounds like its just starting in too high of a gear to me. Take it to a tranny shop and have them do an in vehicle inspection. It may be a simple fix.

Sounds like its just starting in too high of a gear to me. Take it to a tranny shop and have them do an in vehicle inspection. It may be a simple fix.

Just talking to a couple shops on the phone most think it might be the torque converter, one said it might be as simple as a sticking valve not releasing enough fluid. No matter what the prices are not looking good any were from best case senerio $600 to worst case 5k. Kind of a big range.

Just talking to a couple shops on the phone most think it might be the torque converter, one said it might be as simple as a sticking valve not releasing enough fluid. No matter what the prices are not looking good any were from best case senerio $600 to worst case 5k. Kind of a big range.

Transmissions are like mold and water intrusion into house walls....you never know how bad things really are until you open it up and then, it's too late to back out of it.