Sign in to follow this  

Stator cover removal

I am trying to access my stator to replace it. After reading how to access the stator in the FAQ section i know the is a hidden bolt behind that small round to remove the whole cover. I removed the three screws on the round cover, but the cover is resisting removal. I can insert a small flat tip screwdriver and get the cover to flex a bit but i dont want to be a butcher. What am i missing here? Seems simple enough. Thanks in advance Mitch. Keep it on one wheel. :lol:

I am trying to access my stator to replace it. After reading how to access the stator in the FAQ section i know the is a hidden bolt behind that small round to remove the whole cover. I removed the three screws on the round cover, but the cover is resisting removal. I can insert a small flat tip screwdriver and get the cover to flex a bit but i dont want to be a butcher. What am i missing here? Seems simple enough. Thanks in advance Mitch. Keep it on one wheel. :lol:

So your having trouble removing the side case cover to get to the stator???

Or the starter torque limiter cover so you can get to that hidden bolt, to remove the stator?

If the TQ limiter cover, once all three screws are out, twist it a bit so the three “ears” are off set from the case, pull outwards, turning it a bit as you do. The O ring that seals it to the case is large and a tight fit, more so if it is swollen at all (also makes it tough to re install)

There is an "O" ring and maybe some corrosion holding it. You are going to have to just gently work it out. Work from 2 or 3 places around it. I don't like to advise prying with a screw driver. But, if you do, use a thin blade be gentle and work a round it.

So your having trouble removing the side case cover to get to the stator???

Or the starter torque limiter cover so you can get to that hidden bolt, to remove the stator?

If the TQ limiter cover, once all three screws are out, twist it a bit so the three “ears” are off set from the case, pull outwards, turning it a bit as you do. The O ring that seals it to the case is large and a tight fit, more so if it is swollen at all (also makes it tough to re install)

Yes it is indeed the TQ limiter cover. I was just twisting and tugging on it after reading your reply (thanks), I can feel a bit of movement but still no removal. Any tool that would persuade this cover to give it up. While i got you here, what is the function of the torque limiter? Mitch

Yes it is indeed the TQ limiter cover. I was just twisting and tugging on it after reading your reply (thanks), I can feel a bit of movement but still no removal. Any tool that would persuade this cover to give it up. While i got you here, what is the function of the torque limiter? Mitch

The TQ Limiter is just what it sounds like.. If the crank, by way of two gears between it and the TQ limiter do not turn at a predefined amount of TQ from the starter, the TQ limiter will slip. Protecting all from damage and a stalled starter motor which is a hazard as it has straight battery voltage at full available amperage..

SO bottom line, the TQ limiter connects the starter to the idler gear, which connects to the starter gear/sprag clutch (one way bearing and clutch in one), the sprag clutch drives the flywheel, which drives the crank, turning the engine over.. Simple yes??? :lol:

As suggested by Noble.. that cover can get hung up, and a very, very even pressure applied with a this blade screwdriver can be used.. BUT,, it needs to be even pressure, I would suggest two screwdrivers at the same time on opposite sides. And a third hand pulling on the cover straight out.

Also be sure not to lose the bushing behind the TQ limiter once you get it out :lol:

EDIT: And getting the TQ limiter back in can take some time and patience

Thanks for the info guys. Tonight it finally popped off. The cover flew about 6 feet when it popped off. Two bushings landed on the lift along with a thin plain washer. Are these the only loose pieces that go with the TQ? Want to make sure i didnt lose any other small pieces. Thanks Mitch. :lol:

Thanks for the info guys. Tonight it finally popped off. The cover flew about 6 feet when it popped off. Two bushings landed on the lift along with a thin plain washer. Are these the only loose pieces that go with the TQ? Want to make sure i didnt lose any other small pieces. Thanks Mitch. :lol:

Two bushings and two washers. #6 & 7 in the pic below.

10128_8.gif

:Many thanks for the picture. Indeed i had lost one of the washers. After a flashlight search around the lift i found the missing washer. Have you ever had a small piece off your bike hit the floor? After you replace the piece, you find it 6 months later under a cabinet or some other place you did not look. Thanks again, this site is great cause of folks like yourself. Keep it on one wheel. Mitch :lol:

• Like 1

Just to clarify Fig 8 above - Thrust washers #2 do not assemble like in the figure. The thrust washers go on each side of the snap ring item #3. Should be 2, 3, 2, 1, 4.

Just to clarify Fig 8 above - Thrust washers #2 do not assemble like in the figure. The thrust washers go on each side of the snap ring item #3. Should be 2, 3, 2, 1, 4.

Yes of course :lol: I thought the user was asking about the starter TQ limiter, did not occur to me to mention the idler gear and it's correct shim arraignment.

Good catch Noble

This is the recommended ship order.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12229&d=1259431043

Thanks again guys. The parts i needed to know about are in the first picture. number 6 and 7 in the diagram. Is this assembly order correct? Mitch :lol: