Sign in to follow this  

There is just something...

...about these bikes. They are just as much fun to work on as they are to ride (imo:smirk:). This is the first year of my 5 year ownership of getting to put the z in the toasty warm basement:D (gotta love northern Wisconsin) just finished painting the valve color with duplicolor primer then red (checked clearances as well). at a stand still waiting for paint to dry lol. over the next holidays im going to do all the fixes on the pig:banana: tried to hand "clean" it as best as I could, dirt gets into some pretty crazy places;) Hopefully can find a buyer for the fmf so i can get the ssw/mrd!!!!!:)

But mainly I just wanted to give a huge thanks to the TT community.:lol:

This place is awesome for info, tips, and tricks--and the occasional laugh:moon:

Anyways thanks again...(some pics of the progress)

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

hopefully can find a buyer for the fmf so i can get the ssw/mrd

Best of luck with this, I was only able to sell my fmf silencer $100. header is just a wall decoration in the cave now.

Nice clean bike you have. :lol:

I too am thinking about this valve cover paint job. Was your primer High heat primer, or was just the paint?

Best of luck with this, I was only able to sell my fmf silencer $100. header is just a wall decoration in the cave now.

Nice clean bike you have. :lol:

I too am thinking about this valve cover paint job. Was your primer High heat primer, or was just the paint?

Used duplicolor engine enamel primer, then sprayed it with duplicolor engine enamel red. they both were rated to 500 degrees.

I love the looks of those valve covers painted, can you guys let me know what sand paper you used? (400, 800 ect.) Also, was it enging enamel primer? Thanks

For prep, i taped off some areas--cleaned it as best as i could with a scotch brite pad. got the grime off with mineral spirits, used that carefully. the cover already sort of has a magnesium "texture" to it--very lightly sanded with 400 (may have been 800?? it was very fine). sprayed it with about 3 coats of primer and about 5-6 coats with the engine enamel which made it super smooth.