Sign in to follow this  

Guess on 77' xl 100 value?

Hey i was just wondering what the value on a 1977 xl 100 would be. the bikes in fair condition. needs the seat recovered some carb parts, a kickstart lever, and levers and cables. the bike is strait no bent rims or missing spokes, forks are sticky but the shafts and body are in excellent shape, motor turns over and supposedly runs. frame paint is excellent, and no title.

I like answering these. Based upon what you informed us that it needs, and without pictures, I would fairly valuate it at 200-300.00 dollars.

Now then - if your out to make a buck or two off of it. Do this,

Take it down to the frame, soak it in degreaser and pressure wash it, blow dry now sand, wire wheel it clean, prime and paint, rattle can works fine and looks good, just take your time.Repair as required all electrical problems (cut wires) with a proper professional looking repair. Or replace the harness if needed with a good used one.

replace for seals and flush clean forks.

repack steering head bearings.

install new brake shoes

install new cables

install new tires, tubes, and rim strips

install new grips and levers

replace bent parts, shift and brake pedals with good uses ones.

take time in wire wheeling cleaning hardware and parts, get parts that need it bead blasted.

install new bars if old ones are bent

Paint - here comes the expensive part - or not....professional paint job 750.00 - or do it yourself, if capable. DO NOT rattle can - it distracts in value. If you cannot paint and don't want to spend a tons of money - search for better looking parts than what you have on ebay.

recover the seat or replace

new aftermarket shocks.

new chain and sprockets.

Engine, if running well -just clean it up and make it look clean and nice.

If the engine needs work this will be the second largest expense. Top end new piston rings, valves done, cam chain,

all said and done - now you either have a keeper, or a 2,000 bike.

Hey thanks man, yeah i really should tear into it but I've got way to many projects right now. I'm actually doing every thing you've recommended to my tt500, and hopefully my old mx racer soon as well. Thanks again for your input man.

I like answering these. Based upon what you informed us that it needs, and without pictures, I would fairly valuate it at 200-300.00 dollars.

Now then - if your out to make a buck or two off of it. Do this,

Take it down to the frame, soak it in degreaser and pressure wash it, blow dry now sand, wire wheel it clean, prime and paint, rattle can works fine and looks good, just take your time.Repair as required all electrical problems (cut wires) with a proper professional looking repair. Or replace the harness if needed with a good used one.

replace for seals and flush clean forks.

repack steering head bearings.

install new brake shoes

install new cables

install new tires, tubes, and rim strips

install new grips and levers

replace bent parts, shift and brake pedals with good uses ones.

take time in wire wheeling cleaning hardware and parts, get parts that need it bead blasted.

install new bars if old ones are bent

Paint - here comes the expensive part - or not....professional paint job 750.00 - or do it yourself, if capable. DO NOT rattle can - it distracts in value. If you cannot paint and don't want to spend a tons of money - search for better looking parts than what you have on ebay.

recover the seat or replace

new aftermarket shocks.

new chain and sprockets.

Engine, if running well -just clean it up and make it look clean and nice.

If the engine needs work this will be the second largest expense. Top end new piston rings, valves done, cam chain,

all said and done - now you either have a keeper, or a 2,000 bike.

When all is said and done you would most likely have more into it then you can get back out. Or will only have room for a small profit.

When all is said and done you would most likely have more into it then you can get back out. Or will only have room for a small profit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is true, there is most certainly a breaking point and as you reach it time to decide, keep it? sell it? some of the rare ones, sought after models run in into the 10K an above price range, then profit is attained.

as I suffer from the resotration mental illness, I just keep em.

It is nice to know however that with some work you can have a very nice bike that is work more than it sold for new!