Sign in to follow this  

Ford 4.6 vs chevy 4.8 with 5 spd manual

looking at buying a truck and had a few options to chose from but seeing how rangers and s10s are about the same mileage unless you get a little 4 cylinder im going with a 1/2 ton small v8 with a 5 spd manual as a must so that crosses out 5.4, 6.0, and 5.3. This isnt a ford vs chevy thing because I dont really care if I have the oval or the ribbion im looking for mpgs with the manual and from fueleconomy.org its saying chevy with the manual gets better then the ford some Im kinda going for that I want it to be around the 15 city 20 highway area extended cab with 6 1/2 bed. For 4 wd I dont need it but if it isnt a big difference between mpgs then Ill get it. some getting my license in under a year this truck will be used to make 50 mile hikes to race tracks and sand pits usually just hauling/towing bikes but again can be used for heavier jobs.

What happened to your 4bt swap?

well Im 16 I think I should just a vechile before starting a project I really wouldve like to do it but I dont find very likely

well Im 16 I think I should just a vechile before starting a project I really wouldve like to do it but I dont find very likely

Smart decision.:lol: Now, about this, I would simply go with whatever vehicle you can find in the best condition. Personally, i see more Ford manuals than Chevy's, but look for condition first.:)

the 4.6 in the fords are gutless and don't get much better gas mileage then the 5.4. they also have spark plug issues that get very expensive and are a pain to do a tune up (3 hour job). the 4.8 in the silverados are not much different then the 5.3 and i'm not too sure if you'd get that much better gas mileage. the 4.8 are still very peppy in the trucks and are very easy to work on.

I'd stick w/ a ranger if I was you. They're damn tough trucks. If you must have a half ton w/ a manual, I'd stick w/ dodge. The f150 and silverados w/ a stick are generally just bare bones fleet trucks. Not exactly a joy to drive and good luck finding one w/ a v8. Dodge was the last holdout in the 1/2 ton manual arena, your gonna pay a little extra, but you'll get a 6 speed if you get 2006 or later. I should know, it took forever to find mine. Your in for a rude awakening for mpg though. If thats really important in your final decision, definately dont get a half ton.

I'd stick w/ a ranger if I was you. They're damn tough trucks. If you must have a half ton w/ a manual, I'd stick w/ dodge. The f150 and silverados w/ a stick are generally just bare bones fleet trucks. Not exactly a joy to drive and good luck finding one w/ a v8. Dodge was the last holdout in the 1/2 ton manual arena, your gonna pay a little extra, but you'll get a 6 speed if you get 2006 or later. I should know, it took forever to find mine. Your in for a rude awakening for mpg though. If thats really important in your final decision, definately dont get a half ton.

I know what your saying about half ton mileage but unless you get a shitty four cylinder the rangers arnt much different. I would consider the 5.3 or 5.4 but they dont have a option for a manual transmission which I want for realiabilty, easy to work on, and cheapness of parts. As for a dodge im just gonna say Im not a dodge guy I got nothing againest them cause I never owned one but I hear alot more stories about dodge then ford or gm again im not a owner of one so I wouldnt know first hand but in this case its not a option. I dont really need a half ton but a little four cylinder engine I cant use either. If I could get a tacoma that would be great but resale is nuts

It's going to be very difficult to find a truck with a V8 and a standard transmission.

I've had a '99 4.8L Chevy (my son is still driving it - 250,000+ miles) and an '08 5.3L Chevy (I'm driving it - 65,000 miles). Both are extended cab, short bed, 1/2 ton trucks. Both have automatic transmissions.

There is no mileage difference in normal driving. The 4.8 will get slightly better mileage on the interstate as long as you hold it down to no more than 70 mph. Other than that, the mileage is the same.

It's going to be very difficult to find a truck with a V8 and a standard transmission.

I've had a '99 4.8L Chevy (my son is still driving it - 250,000+ miles) and an '08 5.3L Chevy (I'm driving it - 65,000 miles). Both are extended cab, short bed, 1/2 ton trucks. Both have automatic transmissions.

There is no mileage difference in normal driving. The 4.8 will get slightly better mileage on the interstate as long as you hold it down to no more than 70 mph. Other than that, the mileage is the same.

well hearing that kinda sucks I really want the manual but if the mileage isnt going to be different between the bigger v8 and the smaller aint even worth it. Any suggestions for what im looking for

the 4.6 in the fords are gutless and don't get much better gas mileage then the 5.4. they also have spark plug issues that get very expensive and are a pain to do a tune up (3 hour job). the 4.8 in the silverados are not much different then the 5.3 and i'm not too sure if you'd get that much better gas mileage. the 4.8 are still very peppy in the trucks and are very easy to work on.

If you are talkng about the Ford spark plugs blowing out of the heads, that was fixed in 2001 or so. A time sert install can be had for as low as $50 at some garages. I tuned my V10 6.8 in 3 hours including a beer break. And that was at 85,000 miles. How many tune-ups do you need to do? How much work do you need to do at all?

the spark plug blow outs were not fixed until 2004, and even then i have seen some of the newer ones have issues with pulling threads. It takes the same amount of time to do a tune up on the v10 as it does the v8s, it's actually easier to do a tune up on the v10's as they are in the bigger trucks and you have more room. You need to do as many tune ups as you see fit i guess. i would personally do one every 75k or so. and you only need to do as much work as you see fit. if you don't want to do any maintance on your vehicle then don't. I was just stating my experiences with each vehicle. If you can avoid the issues then why not. obviously if the ford was kept in good shape and had tuneups done when they were supposed to, then you shouldn't have issues with the plugs blowing out. But lets face it, most people out there do not maintain there vehicle. The chevy truck is alot easier to do a tuneup on, and that was all i was comparing to. 3hrs vs 1 hr of labor. chevys have there issues as well, idler, pitman arms go out quickly. balljoints go out faster. exhaust manifolds warp and snap exhaust bolts.

Im still saying ranger. My jalopi gets 21 on the highway (2wd, 5 speed, extended cab). Theres a reason I didnt sell it. Theyre a dime a dozen, and the manual will yield higher mpg than the auto, not the case w/ the bigger trucks. On top of that, theyre reasonably affordable for a 16 year old...ie: you. I'd recommend the 3.0 over the other engine choices. How much $$ areyou looking to spend?? On the triton plug issues, I thought a big part of that was that the plugs were installed too tight. Arent they only held in the heads by four threads?

At first it was the 2 piece plugs would break in the heads. Then it became an issue where the plugs would blow out or strip threads. To be honest most of it probably is from neglect of maintance and incorrect install. It is a stupid design to have a plug be held in by only 4 threads in an aluminum head though.

Im still saying ranger. My jalopi gets 21 on the highway (2wd, 5 speed, extended cab). Theres a reason I didnt sell it. Theyre a dime a dozen, and the manual will yield higher mpg than the auto, not the case w/ the bigger trucks. On top of that, theyre reasonably affordable for a 16 year old...ie: you. I'd recommend the 3.0 over the other engine choices. How much $$ areyou looking to spend?? On the triton plug issues, I thought a big part of that was that the plugs were installed too tight. Arent they only held in the heads by four threads?

I know what your saying about the rangers but like I said iy only seems worth it for the four cylinder. 2.3 liter manual 27 on the highway 21 in the city go up 700cc to your 3.0 v6 and mileage drops dramatically for a small a power gain and the 4.0 is just about the same as a f150 so my plan is seeing as no gas powered truck will fit my needs and diesels are to expensive or not possible Ill just get two vechiles f150 with big v8 and a little honda civic each having its own purpose. after that figure out a way to get the cheapest insurance

My F150 4.6 was a 99 model. It was a regular cab 5 speed 4wd model (and wasn't based out - it was a nicer interior package) -- mileage was around 14 - and 12 towing my 5x8 trailer full of bikes and gear --- as others have said, yes it was fairly gutless towing a large trailer -- but it was a nice truck

My 06 F150 crewcab is a 5.4 - its 2wd and gets 17 -- definitely not gutless, but its an apples/oranges thing to compare a 2wd to a 4wd. ITs a weird engine, because i am more impressed with its towing ability than i am with its performance around town --- its fast enough, sure, but a lot of manufacturers have a quicker package ---

I know what your saying about the rangers but like I said iy only seems worth it for the four cylinder. 2.3 liter manual 27 on the highway 21 in the city go up 700cc to your 3.0 v6 and mileage drops dramatically for a small a power gain and the 4.0 is just about the same as a f150 so my plan is seeing as no gas powered truck will fit my needs and diesels are to expensive or not possible Ill just get two vechiles f150 with big v8 and a little honda civic each having its own purpose. after that figure out a way to get the cheapest insurance

Two vehicles is an awesome idea, as I recently did that. I bought an 2008 Altima 3 months before I bought the Ram, an 08 to coincidently. Even w/ 20s, the nissan still pulls 26 highway. I'm not sure what your $$ is like, but i'll tell you what, even if you can pay the notes (I'm financing both rides) your insurance company will love you. Ive got great insurance (USAA) and its still crazy expensive. good luck

my 06 Chevy ext cab short box 4x4 with the 5.3 gets in the low 19 mpg range around 70-74 on the highway and 16ish around town. and I agree that the small trucks like the ranger are not worth it for fuel economy because its a 1 or 2 mpg gain for allot less truck. as for the manual trans idea, I have seen very few half ton manual trucks, I also was looking for one when i bought mine a few years ago but ended up with the automatic. but good luck finding one if that's what you want.

I have 99 Ford F150 4X4 with the 5 speed. The truck has been very reliable. As stated above, it is not very powerful but is ok for Michigan flatlands and the few hills that it sees. The 5 speed is a Mazada unit, so it is limited to only 3000lb towing capacity per the owners manual. The Chevy uses a real manual so can tow more.

The Chevrolet 4.8s are awesome. Ive got one in my truck with 278k miles and its never been apart. The 4.8 is just a 5.3 with a shorter stroke crank.

A few months back Hot Rod magazine took a stock 150k mile 4.8 out of a junk yard and twin turboed it. No rebuild or nothing that motor made 60+ pulls on the dyno at 1000 hp before it finally bent a rod. Thats pretty incredable

Don't be too concerned with a manual as far as MPG's go.

Years ago, yes you got better mileage.

Now with locking convertors & overdrive. There's practically no difference. Many of today's auto's actually get better MPG's than manuals along with quicker 0-60 times.

The only reason I'd go to a manual over an auto is because I prefer it, not because of MPG's