Sign in to follow this  

Best 90/10 tires for beginner

I just got back from my first trail ride with my 2000 DRZ-400S. I was so excited I took it out with the tires I had bought them with, that looked pretty much like street tires with deeper tread. Bad idea...since it rained the night before and started to rain again. I ate mud within 10 minutes of my ride and ate it another 3 times throughout the day. Now I'm on here trying to find my next set of tires.

I'm not that tall a rider so I would like to keep close to the same sidewall height of my current tire, which is 120/80-18. I also plan on riding in a couple weeks, so it'll be muddy here in Cali.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of going wider for more gripping surface. I was thinking of the Dunlop D606 130/90-18. I've also been considering these but these might be too tall:

- Pirelli XMHC

- Pirelli T43

- Kenda K270

- Kenda K760

These are all for the rear. I am going with the Pirelli M21 for the front.

Some things I look for in a tire: grips on most conditions, also good in mud since I'll be riding this winter, and still let's me keep two feet on the ground (which my current tires do and can probably go up another half inch for the new tire).

Thanks in advance!

I like the K270. First one I had lasted 5000 miles. The second one the center knobs started cracking off at 350 miles. Still waiting to hear back from Kenda next week. If they take care of me with a refund or replacement I will continue to use that tire. If not Im switching to the Dunlop 606.

From what I've been reading in all the tire threads I have gathered that the XCMH is hands down better than the 606 and the 606 front tire makes the bike difficult to turn. I am going with the XC's as we get deeper into the winter. My ride yesterday was difficult after a 3 day soaking left the leaf litter very slippery especially on the rocks strewn trails. The death wings can be both fun and scary.

D606 would be pretty ideal, XCMH are better offroad but wear out quickly on the street. The D606 lasts very long and would be a good baseline to measure other tires against as you ride more.

• Like 1

D606 would be pretty ideal, XCMH are better offroad but wear out quickly on the street. The D606 lasts very long and would be a good baseline to measure other tires against as you ride more.

This man gets my vote....:lol:

For 90% off road the 606 is fine. Keep the aggressive street riding to a minimum though, they don't like that! 130/90 606 is going to be quite a bit taller than a 120/80 street tread.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 760 Trackmasters. I've gotten super mileage from mine (over 8000 miles on the front, over 4000 on 1st rear). Granted, I don't ride as hard off road as these young whippersnappers but I do manage to get out of my own way), and probably over half that mileage was on-road. They work darn well on road for knobbies. Try them, I think you'll like them also.

If you are only riding off road on the weekends or special occasion.. Just swap tires.. With practice it's an under hour deal.. Having done that for more than a year before I got my first set of extra wheels..

Using a real off road tire is just more fun off road, more confidence inspiring, and lets you go more places easier than a compromise tire. Same with street orientated rubber.

Changing ties will feel like a full contact sport the first few times, but is really easy to do once you figure it out..

Once you have it down, start to finish, bike up on stand to bike out of the garage.. Under an hour for a rear tire.. Spending an hour or two, or four to swap tires is well worth the extra traction.

If you want a comprise tire…

Try the Kenda or Dunlop 606.. ..

If you are only riding off road on the weekends or special occasion.. Just swap tires.. With practice it's an under hour deal.. Having done that for more than a year before I got my first set of extra wheels..

Using a real off road tire is just more fun off road, more confidence inspiring, and lets you go more places easier than a compromise tire. Same with street orientated rubber.

Changing ties will feel like a full contact sport the first few times, but is really easy to do once you figure it out..

Once you have it down, start to finish, bike up on stand to bike out of the garage.. Under an hour for a rear tire.. Spending an hour or two, or four to swap tires is well worth the extra traction.

If you want a comprise tire…

Try the Kenda or Dunlop 606.. ..

i have 606 tires, i dont like them in the dirt, and am going to desert this weekend and want fresh tires, what is a good off road only tire?

i have 606 tires, i dont like them in the dirt, and am going to desert this weekend and want fresh tires, what is a good off road only tire?

CA Desert,,, Like Jawbone?

On the Heavy DRZ I really liked the Michelin M12 in the front and a S12 in the back for the dirt and sandy stuff, but swapped a Maxxis Maxxcross Desert IT for the rocky sharp edge stuff.

I have the D606's and so far like the rear do not like the front. Next time I will try a K-760 rear and M21 front.

CA Desert,,, Like Jawbone?

On the Heavy DRZ I really liked the Michelin M12 in the front and a S12 in the back for the dirt and sandy stuff, but swapped a Maxxis Maxxcross Desert IT for the rocky sharp edge stuff.

actually red mountian area, garlock rd and 395, im also concerned about flats, no rim locks, and ive had a problem with front tire loosing air after tube replacment.

Another vote for D606. Pretty good all-round tire. Like OP, I was just starting out off road last year, and wanted something that will do just about anything. Thus far, I like the rear D606, but the front is not as sure-footed as I'd like... so I will also be swapping out the front for something more aggressive come time to change tires.

I liked the 606, but there are much better tires out there. The XCMH's blow them away off road, and aren't any worse on road.