Sign in to follow this  

options for a cracked sleeve

Hope this is the right section...

A friend's friend cracked the sleeve on his 03 cr125 right above the exhaust port; apparently I am the "engine guy" since I've done a few cast iron pwc cylinders but I have no idea about the nikasil ones. Is it possible to replace a nik. sleeve like a cast one? Heat it up, push it out, and press in the new one? The person involved works on helicopters for the army but I am thinking the bore needs to be mic'ed as well as the new sleeve and then clearanced for the proper interference fit or whatever it is. Basically I told them to send it to lasleeve and be done with it, but they prefer to do things the hard way. Any other ideas that won't cost a lot?

Also, is John from MX Tech still here?

a cylinder plated with nikasil wont have a sleeve, and a sleeved cylinder wont be plated. i am assuming, that you just assumed, that it is plated when it is not. in that case, you just do what you described, heat it up, press it out, toss it, press in the new one, port match, hone to size of piston +clearances. send it to LA sleeve unless you guys are confortable with this kind of work.

an 03 CR125 wont have a sleeve (unless someone else sleeved it)

However, you can have the cylinder sent out to be welded and re-plated by someone like Millenium Technology or the likes.

Dont sleeve it. Theres a lot of threads on this subject in the two stroke forums. What sean said about the ports and still having to bore it before you even use it and heat transfer problems. A sleeve has a shorter life before it needs to be bored again than a plated jug. Plating starts around $200 and repairs are reasonably priced (cracked ports and bridges are common). Had one done at power seal usa and couldnt be happier. Order the piston from the place you send the jug. It wont cost more than ordering a piston from elsewhere and it is sure to be a perfect fit.