Sign in to follow this  

advice for homeowners

posting here as this is the only forum i visit, anyways am a hvac contractor, it's the time of year to start using the furnace or boilers.especially on the forced air side,if its 15 yrs or older, if not for peace of mind,i highly recommend having your heat exchangers inspected,feel free to throw any questions my way or for second opinions.i don;t want to see this happen to any of you guys,happened to my neighbor up the street few yrs ago-phil

http://www.yournorwin.com/norwinstar/article/couple-grateful-help-after-poisoning

I also do hvac work- every home needs a Carbon Monoxide detector. Also the toy hauler should have one.

But do not buy the cheap non display type. They do not go off till the co level is at 100 ppm., but that time you could be very sick. Kids could be dead! Dig deep and spend $35 on one that has a display on it. It should always read zero!! any thing higher call a service tech.

:thumbsup:I have 3 children and this is good stuff guys! Is this something you mount on the wall like a thermostat? My furnace is about 5 years old now and time for a service. Peerless boiler and Becket burner- standard oil burner (sadly) I have nozzles filters and gaskets but forgot how to adjust the nozzle. You guys are gentleman.:lol:

:thumbsup:I have 3 children and this is good stuff guys! Is this something you mount on the wall like a thermostat? My furnace is about 5 years old now and time for a service. Peerless boiler and Becket burner- standard oil burner (sadly) I have nozzles filters and gaskets but forgot how to adjust the nozzle. You guys are gentleman.:lol:

5/32 gap

1/16 in front of nozzle

5/16 above center of nozzle

100 psi pump pressure

Negative .01 overfire draft reading

Negative .035 stack draft

Trace of smoke to nothing on smoke test

Do tune up when its cold out,less than 35 outside

Cad cell resistance less than 1 k ohms

5/32 gap

1/16 in front of nozzle

5/16 above center of nozzle

100 psi pump pressure

Negative .01 overfire draft reading

Negative .035 stack draft

Trace of smoke to nothing on smoke test

Do tune up when its cold out,less than 35 outside

Cad cell resistance less than 1 k ohms

Dear God your an animal!! Thanks man.

I have a single story home with a wood stove at one end of the house (living room). This room gets cooked out with heat while the bedrooms at the far end stay cold.

I've always wanted to build a simple single duct air exchange system through the attic to even the heat out,

Q: would it be better to pump the heat back to the far end, or take the cold air and send it to the wood stove room?

any recomendation for ducting (attic has 3' of blow insulation) so would I need insulated ducting? also any advice for a duct fan?

thanks.

Install ceiling return style grill above wood burner,run 8 " wrapped galvanized pipe to hallway diffuser just outside of the bedrooms ,use a 115v ductbooster fan .use a contactor to feed 115 volts to a 24 volt transformer as well as line side of a contactor.on load side run it to fan.run 18-2 theromostat wire to w and c contacts of digital honeywell stat.set stat to what temp you want hall area at.once satisfied,booster fan will shut off .

Obviously with above setup ,you'd want thermostat in hallway near supply grill ,just not directly under it ,better setup would be to mount stat in living room,use y and c contacts ,once fan removes heat from area ,the fan will shut off once thermostat is satisfied.

thank you, Q, the air above the stove is VERY hot, thought may too hot so planned on locating the intake away. would the (too) hot air be and issue with the fan motor? also where should the duct fan be located? mid duct? either end?

I'm saving your reply for when I get around to this project, thanks

have return air grill/8"insulated box above stove.mount inline booster fan 2' from first 8" galvanized 90 that is above return air grill. use 30 gauge 8" round metal duct insulate with 1-1/2" duct wrap.using the y and c contacts,will shut the fan off once the heat from the stove area cools down to desired temp-ie- if its-85-90 degrees in that area , set stat for 75 degrees , once the fan gets the heat from the area down to 75 , the fan will shut off, mount thermostat at 54" from floor, at least 8' from stove on interior wall.the 24 volts will come from the transformer into and out of the stat- this will pull in the contactor. the contactor is fed 115 volts from a switch fed from breaker panel.-phil.

thanks again! I'll let you know how it turns out (as if there isn't enough home projects)

being an experienced homeowner I also know to locate the transformer and contactor where the next owner can't find it ! LOL.

confused? price and part# don't match

Edited by highmarker