Sign in to follow this  

What are your thoughts on fork springs

A friend of mine with 2011 is about do for fork service at first 20 hours. He complains that the fork is harsh in braking bumps and chop. I experienced this same thing with my 2009 and it seems to be common issue. Most of the magazines are recommending .48 fork springs to help this and I know that Honda went to stiffer springs for 2012 (.47?). He does not want to re valve but we are thinking about new springs and oil height. Does anyone out there have experience with this and if so what are your thoughts. 185lb rider and he's pretty fast. Doesn't race but would do well in local B class (not like loretta's B class). Loves the bike otherwise. If any of you have experienced this with the Honda Chassis and have a thought let me know. I am experienced mechanic and the one doing the work.

.47 is softer than .48.. my 08 came with .48 and was too much for woods/harescramble racing. i put a .46 on the other side and thus now have .47 with 360ml of fork oil. (woods valving too). was a big diff going to the .47 rate vs. .48. i honestly could not believe the difference.. the valving and oil level had been changed already, we had hoped that would soften the front end enough.

SO.. depends on your weight, ability (faster riders tend to use slightly stiffer rate than slower riders all other things equal). and other stuff.

I have an 11 and just had my forks revalved and stiffer springs installed. I have an IMS 2.7 gal tank and my suspension guy installed .50 springs. I had it revalved for the woods and it feels so much better than stock. Feels great, even in the slow stuff. Just soaks eveything up and not harsh at all.

.47 is softer than .48.. my 08 came with .48 and was too much for woods/harescramble racing. i put a .46 on the other side and thus now have .47 with 360ml of fork oil. (woods valving too). was a big diff going to the .47 rate vs. .48. i honestly could not believe the difference.. the valving and oil level had been changed already, we had hoped that would soften the front end enough.

SO.. depends on your weight, ability (faster riders tend to use slightly stiffer rate than slower riders all other things equal). and other stuff.

I am sorry but the '08 cannot be compared to the '11. Totally different Chassis and Showa suspensions whereas '11 is KYB

I have an 11 and just had my forks revalved and stiffer springs installed. I have an IMS 2.7 gal tank and my suspension guy installed .50 springs. I had it revalved for the woods and it feels so much better than stock. Feels great, even in the slow stuff. Just soaks eveything up and not harsh at all.

Good to hear. That's the first I have heard of using .50 but I suspect that may also have something to do with the revalve and heavier fuel load. Sounds like you did an offroad revalve. This bike will be strictly MX riding but it sounds like this may be the right track.

that could be, i have no idea about the different brands of suspension on the later model.. but .48 is still a stiffer spring rate than .47 (from your initial post) ?

Springs for your weight and type of riding you do is the most important and first thing that should be done. The next important thing is making sure that all of the internal components are not worn and you have fresh fluids. I would pose your question in the Suspension section as for which springs you need. The guys over there are extremely helpful and a lot of them know their stuff.

I ride an 09 strictly Mx, mid pack b rider, 185lbs. I went to .48 and it's a world of difference! I don't think I would go any stiffer but the race tech calculator said I should go with .49.