Sign in to follow this  

2000 cr250 vs 2005 cr250

well, here goes...today i rode my new to me 2005 cr250 at the track for the first time. i also brought my 2000 cr250 to the track (which is the bike i usually ride). i was able to compare the case reed bike to my 2000. i am a pretty aggressive rider, and both bikes felt pretty equal in overall power. the 2005 is just much smoother, so i can understand why people think that this motor is slow. its bone stock but it had GOBS of low end power. no spooge, no bog. maybe i just got lucky. i dont see why everybody hates on this generation of honda's 250. tons of power, even compared to my 2000. the power combined with the great handling of the 2005 chassis made this the best bike ive ever ridden. just figured id share my experience with the cursed case reed.

to each his own, i cant stand my buddies 2007 cr250 compared to my 01 i love the chassis but his engine is a dog , we run the same pipe, reeds both bikes are set up for single track

its not just me he dose not like ridding my bike because the snap on mine is a little to much for him as he is comming off a kx250f to 2-strokes

I went thru something similar I'd bought a new 01 in that yr. similar to your 00. After riding an 03 of that yr. I sold the 01 to buy the 03 model & haven't felt like I made the wrong decision. Most recently a buddy sold his 01 model after riding my cr & is looking to buy an 02-07 model. The bike does get a bad rap but IMHO when set up properly it's one of the fastest & best handling 250 2t's.

i rode an 04 at the track and that thing was pretty weak compared to my 00. the bike was so neglected though that i put my opinion of the bike on the back burner and am looking to ride a properly jetted and maintained 3rd gen cr. need another crack at it.

Haven't ridden the older ones but got my 02 running. Very smooth power and very torquey down low. Lacks the snap and hit of my old YZ250s. Also noticed no spooge and only light smoke. Those two things are what pushed me to the four strokes. Seems I'm back now.

From my short ride yesterday I feel the 02-07 CR250 is underappreciated motor wise anyway.

Haven't ridden the older ones but got my 02 running. Very smooth power and very torquey down low. Lacks the snap and hit of my old YZ250s. Also noticed no spooge and only light smoke. Those two things are what pushed me to the four strokes. Seems I'm back now.

From my short ride yesterday I feel the 02-07 CR250 is underappreciated motor wise anyway.

kicking myself in the ass for a while now as i saw an 06 cr250 on craigslist in my area for $1600. i passed on it because i didnt have the money to blow on a toy at the time. wishing now i would of just went for it anyways.

I think alot of the 02+ bashing is because you need to have them set up to run good. Jetting and power valve adjustment are critical. The pre 02 bikes are harder to have them not running right. The PVs always work unless you put them together wrong and the jetting does not seenm so critical. Plus they have the hit when the PV opens and that makes them feel fast. I am a big fan of the 02+ CRs. The power is great and the handling is excelent. I love mine, i will probably keep it till i die.

• Like 1

I think alot of the 02+ bashing is because you need to have them set up to run good. Jetting and power valve adjustment are critical. The pre 02 bikes are harder to have them not running right. The PVs always work unless you put them together wrong and the jetting does not seenm so critical. Plus they have the hit when the PV opens and that makes them feel fast. I am a big fan of the 02+ CRs. The power is great and the handling is excelent. I love mine, i will probably keep it till i die.

i honestly believe a ton of 2 stroke complaints come from improperly jetted bikes. jetting in 2 strokes is so critical because they really dont have a lot of bottom end anyways, and then you choke it off with poor jetting and you get that crap power delivery and spooge and then it becomes "all 2 strokes are that way" :lol:

thanks for the replies! alot of great points made here. my 2000 definitely FEELS faster because of the harder hit (not to mention its modded out the balls), but i was quick to realize that the 2005 is just as fast, the power is just delivered differently. its really crisp. i must have gotten lucky with the jetting, because this bike runs perfect. i have yet to look at the power valve to see if it needs adjusting.

i honestly believe a ton of 2 stroke complaints come from improperly jetted bikes. jetting in 2 strokes is so critical because they really dont have a lot of bottom end anyways, and then you choke it off with poor jetting and you get that crap power delivery and spooge and then it becomes "all 2 strokes are that way" :lol:

X2 you hit the nail on the head. Every bike I ever bought was a 2 stroke and they always need to be rejetted because a great amount of people either don't get it or they're too lazy to put the work in.

what are you guys running for jetting in the 02+ bikes

my buddies 07

stock needle 2nd clip

37.5 pilot

2-2.5 air screw

32:1 50/50 c12/93 pump .....and its a dog compared to my 01 ....rc valve cables are good as well ( im the one who maintains his bike lol)

what are you guys running for jetting in the 02+ bikes

my buddies 07

stock needle 2nd clip

37.5 pilot

2-2.5 air screw

32:1 50/50 c12/93 pump .....and its a dog compared to my 01 ....rc valve cables are good as well ( im the one who maintains his bike lol)

Your buddy's main problem is his continued use of the stock needle. The stock needle is typically 2x richer than what the engine needs for the USA market. Honda has to assume that they're selling these bikes to owners living in 10k ft ASL all the way down to 1k ft Below Sea Level. SO they jet the carb for the best condition that won't grenade the engine under the most extreme locations. Thus, being too rich is safer than being too lean. And that there is the MAIN, #1 reason why a stock late model CR250 is leaving about 20-40% more ponies on the table.

Honda sells 2 leaner needles for this bike that when jetted according to the owner's location, will really wake up this bike. Search previous posts by me or others to get the honda's needle pn...6dgyxxxxxxx OR! just buy a JD jetting kit and call it a day... JD kit does all the legwork for you and provide you w/ 2 leaner needles to replace the stock, excessively rich, needles.

Also, note that the TMX carb w/ TPS is a completely different carb than the 2002-2004 carb. The air slide on the newer carb is kidney shaped, just like the PWK, whereas the 2002-2004 is shaped like a rectangular match box, or w/ a flat plate slider. Completely different, and requires different jetting between the two.

I agree about the jetting. Yea the bike needs JETS to run of course, but here in Memphis we're at sea level and we only have 70 degrees range change in temperature throughout the year so the pilot and power never need changing. Just the main may go a size bigger or smaller at each end of the spectrum...Coupled with a few turns of the air screw and that's it. No needle clip changes needed either. This is what my Honda manual calls for. Sure am glad I don't live somewhere that has the drastic changes nor high altitude.

i have 2 2000 cr 250s , both haul ass....as long as you do normal upkeep they will run strong for a long time. the 2000 has a mechanical power valve and is more simple than the electronically controlled 05... personally i think that the 2000 cr250 is the best year for trails because if the torque- its comparable to a tractor.........great for hill-climbing too

You guys hit the nail on the head with the "jetting".

People complain about the power on the last generation CR250's.

They say they are flat on top, and don't have much bottom-end.

Mine was kinda like that too. ( Notice I said "WAS" )

I did the PWK AirStriker carb swap, and installed a Vforce3 reed valve.

Carb has the JD jet kit installed in it. Pipe is a ProCircuit Works, with the 304 silencer.

This bike now has crisp throttle response and pulls your arms off on the top end of the powerband.

BIG difference.

The stock TMX carbs are jetted too fat. And like someone said, the needle is also the problem.

My bike would spooge quite a bit too. Even after I did a new top end on it.

So I knew the carb was not jetted right.

I decided not to mess with the TMX and just go for the Airstriker.

Glad I did. It was well worth it.

Moral of the story is: the last gen CR's rock! You just gotta work the bugs out of them.

They already have great suspension and sweet handling, so once you coax a little more power out of the engine... it's ready to shred!

:lol:

i have posted on this before and thought i would add a comment on the bike since i did a top end and some other minor stuff and have raced mx on this thing since sept/oct.

recap- i have on 03, cr 250 with a pro cicruit works pipe/304 shrty, new 2 ring wiseco and stock carb. no porting or anything like that. when i went to rebuild my bike the reeds had a corner chip missing but piston looked good. the bike spooged literally everywhere, even sitting after a ride. very week overall like most seemed to complain about.

i took some advice from a local guru and did some research here on tt and went about trying to fix her up. i did a new piston, used replacement fiber reeds(carbon is stock), used an 05 base gasket and did the following to the carb: changed S-9 nozzle to a S-7 used stock needle in stock location and changed to a 400 main jet and 30 pilot.

i want to add that when i put the top end back together i did the leak test to the case- i believe this is mandatory if you want a proper running bike. 1st test revaled i was leaking at the base gasket.. ended up using small coat of rtv gray to fix leak on the base gasket. also - fuel nowadays is a concoction of whatever from wherever. i believe that the race gas is light years ahead of pump and is super consistent. yes, you can run on pump fuel but i dont think it helps anything.

i race mx and i followed my local guru's advice and used race fuel, torco 110 and honda syn 2 stroke premix(blue stuff) mixed at 32:1. now i have absolutely no spooge-not on the silencer or on the joint.

since i have been racing my plug is the desired light tan at every plug check. the bike does take 5-6 kicks when starting from a 2 wk non ride but after that initial she fires up on 1st kick practically everytime. i have no hesitation, can pull the front end up at will and i am tickled pink...only problem i have is i cannot get out of the gate against the 450's. its probably me but off a concrete start pad i just spin. for the 30 bucks i spent on the nozzle and jets it seems to have paid off. i also was thinking about the airstryker. i figurede i would try the low road 1st is all.