wheel hub ID needed . please help . PICS INSIDE

hey guys .

i bought this 18" wheel from ebay 3 months ago , and havent had time to fit it up to my 1993 honda xr600r until today .

i bought it so i can have a spare rear wheel/dirt tire to do a quick swap when i want to go off roading .

this is what i DO know . my current 18" rear wheel that is OEM for my 93 xr600r is typical from 1991-2000 . its 17mm axle fits through 2 identical bearings, 2 collar adapters , an inner collar, a bearing retainer(sprocket side), and a couple dust covers. i know this since thats what my street tire rear hub looks like .

NOW the wheel pictured below has only one side at 17mm (sprocket side) and thats because it has an inner 17mm sleeve sleeve in a 20mm collar .

now on the disc brake side all it is a 20mm collar and thats it .. almost like the inner 17mm sleeve is missing from the disc side... ?

anyways , what really sets this thing off as "no way its a honda hub" is that the bearing on the sprocket side is gigantic, about twice the width of a normal bearing (its resting on the rim in one of the last photos). it slides in with barely any resistance(no tapping in with a socket like most bearings). its almost like the double thick bearing takes the place of a bearing retainer. .. but the hub is not threaded for a retainer.

anyone have a clue what this is ? im through with buying used rims on ebay . this is my second one. most come from bike scraps and the part puller has no idea what hes looking at.

though the numbers on the rim edge seem very similar to my current rear wheel .

thanks !?

disc brake side

IMG_0001Medium.jpg

IMG_0002Medium.jpg

the contents of disc brake side - 20mm collar with a bit of play around the dust cover since it pretty much rests on it

IMG_0003Medium.jpg

disc brake bearing in place(it had to be pulled out with a bearing puller

IMG_0004Medium.jpg

sprocket side

IMG_0005Medium.jpg

smaller 17mm sleeve sliding into 20mm collar

IMG_0006Medium.jpg

dust cover and monster bearing that just slid out

IMG_0007Medium.jpg

inner collar

IMG_0008Medium.jpg

rim numbers reading DID JAPAN 2.15 X 18 72 - 10

IMG_0010Medium.jpg

Edited by woodbutcher80

I am in the final days of a transfer across country. As soon as my household goods get delivered, I need to check my bike. Reason being is I think my 91 has the same thing. When I tore the wheel off to replace bearings and put it back together, it had a set up cmpletely different from the oem parts. The disk brake is different with different bolts. The bearings are not what all balls sent me for a stock replacement and I had to use the old one that was still in decent shape. I think I have the same rim as you.

Anyway, it is a mystery I need to figue out because that rear disk needs to be replaced. I don't want to order one for the bike and not have it fit.

I need to explore that CR route a little more.?

i did a quick check on ronnies site and looked up the 93 cr500r and nope, it has roughly the same setup as oem xr's (retainer, etc.)

i forgot to mention the sprocket is a 47 tooth ...but that im sure was changed by someone as its a different color .

then again , i wouldnt be surprised if that helped in finding what bike takes an oem 47t sprocket ... as the xr600s are 48t

I've had a pretty good look through all the Hon/Kwaka/ Yammy/Suzi fiches mainly of the larger (say over 350) two stroke and 4 stroke mx/enduro type bikes,,No rear wheel internals really resemble that,,Even checked Husky 510/610,,closer,,but no, its an unknown..I suspect it's been modified somehow..

Well,not that it helps you, but I think I found my Franken XR mod by the PO. Looks like I have the rear wheel off the later model XR250R. I still need to double check once the stuff is unpacked by the movers, but I am about 99% sure.

Not sure why that was a change by someone unless they bent the 600 rim to hell and got a 250 wheel on the cheap. Anyway, now I can get the right bearings and bolts for the brake disk.

Good news. I contacted the seller from ebay and he is giving me a full refund. I thought that was nice of him seeing it has been a while since the auction ended. Apparently its a 1994 cr250 wheel. I talked to the Guy who sold it to the eBay poster. even then he was uncertain though .

Edited by woodbutcher80