Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki ltz400 running problem plz help

hello i have a 00 suzuki 400 last year i rolled the bike and now will not idle and will not start without choke and gas. backfires off idle. it is a stock bike i have checked timming, valve adjustment compression, and petcock. replaced carb, ignition coil, cdi. i am now very flustrated and about to throw it into the dumpster any advice would be great thank you

:lol:

what year is it you stated it was a 00 but they have only made the ltz400 from 03-to current. regardless it sounds like the plugged pilot jet the 36mm bsr mukuni carb on the ltz400 it very picky when it comes to being perfectly clean and clear of debris also check to insure you are producing vacuum as the carb along with the petcock are made operational by vacuum

yeah its and 03 and i have replaced the carb and bypassed the petcock and have cleaned the carb numerous times. i am an automotive diagnostic tech and have been for 34 years and have owned motorcycles and atvs almost my whole life. the part that baffels me is it only happened after i rolled it i have check and replaced mostly everything even after testing good. i will check the pilot jet next thank you

does it have an e brake....sometimes they have e brake sensors and wont let you rev with it on, itll idel all day but will back fire and spit and sputter all day until you undo the e brake cable or whatever you have....happened to me on my blaster. it could happen to any one

This sounds like what had happened to me. I flipped my z400 (also an 03 model) and couldnt ride for about 2 months. By the time i could ride again the bike was a pig, wouldnt start unless i had full throttle & choke. I first thought the valves must be shot and it was a coincidence. The problem turned out to be the choke needle and spring in the carby was rusted in place, so even though i could move the choke at the bars it wasnt moving in the carby. I undid the bolt at the carby for the choke and managed to free it up with some pliers and CRC. Unfortunately this is now common and rusts itself into place if i dont use it weekly. My solution was buying one manual choke (push/pull choke lever) off ebay which you can get more pressure behind to move it. Cost all of $20.

Hope this helps, let us know how you got on

you may need to put a small jet kit in it. I had the same problem and that fixed mine.