Sign in to follow this  

This must be exotic...

must be exotic right? have you ever seen another one? Hope to have it done in a few months. Got the RMZ and two YZ465 motors lined up. It's on...

Fullscreen-capture-11242011-L.jpg

Bike will be here tomorrow and then let the fun begin.

1126111316-M.jpg

must be exotic right? have you ever seen another one? Hope to have it done in a few months. Got the RMZ and two YZ465 motors lined up. It's on...

1126111316-M.jpg

:lol:

1126111316-M.jpg

what about the exhaust pipe? I dont think the original 465 pipe will fit

1126111316-M.jpg

In the meantime get a trailer, hitch rack, anything! :lol:

In the meantime get a trailer, hitch rack, anything! :lol:

Thats a buddy of mine. He was nice enough to pick it up and drop it off 200 miles for me. Got the RMZ this morning and it looks great. it is on.

- As for the pipe I have a friend that does vintage bikes and has piles of pipes and can make anything fit. I'll leave that part to him. I have the stock pipe and a DG to work with and he has PILES of pips / sections to work with. This is going to be fun.

interesting project !

The opposite would be something like this:

8869555boo.jpg

Very VERY cool :lol:

Can't wait to see how this 465 project turns out as well.

interesting project !

The opposite would be something like this:

8869555boo.jpg

Kinda but that is basically a modern bike made to look like a vintage bike.

1126111316-M.jpg

I understand the chassis, I really don't understand the choice of engine. Course if you are a sit down rider, the vibration may produce something of value! :lol:

I used to own a YZ490. Loved the bike but always felt ripped off because it was a 4 spd transmission. I think the 465 was the same way. I believe the WR490 had a 5 spd in it.

Anyway, can't wait to see how this hybred turns out.

I used to own a YZ490. Loved the bike but always felt ripped off because it was a 4 spd transmission. I think the 465 was the same way. I believe the WR490 had a 5 spd in it.

Anyway, can't wait to see how this hybred turns out.

465 is a 5 speed. The IT465 is a real wide trans.

I understand the chassis, I really don't understand the choice of engine.

I always loved the 465 motor / power. It is also stone reliable and a hammer of a motor. No watercooling just super simple power. So I wanted to stuff a really simple stone reliable motor in a modern good handling bike. Thats really all there is to it.

I have an ATK 406 and it is a similar design, simple rock solid air cooled motor in a semi modern frame. I am trying to build the ultimate realization of that thought process. The 465 makes more power, is lighter and EZ to get parts for. the RMZ is light and quick handling. Should make a fantastic woods bike I hope.

My ATK inspiration...

667016793_qRGKE-XL.jpg

I always loved the 465 motor / power. It is also stone reliable and a hammer of a motor. No watercooling just super simple power. So I wanted to stuff a really simple stone reliable motor in a modern good handling bike. Thats really all there is to it.

I have an ATK 406 and it is a similar design, simple rock solid air cooled motor in a semi modern frame. I am trying to build the ultimate realization of that thought process. The 465 makes more power, is lighter and EZ to get parts for. the RMZ is light and quick handling. Should make a fantastic woods bike I hope.

My ATK inspiration...

667016793_qRGKE-XL.jpg

I have just resurrected an ATK 406 almost identical to yours. The thing is beautiful in it's simplicity. Ironically, I have wondered what the "next step" in that bike would have been, and have had thoughts of an air cooled big bore 2 stroke in a modern chassis.

Too bad your "new" bike isn't a linkageless KTM. That really would have been even closer to the ATK inspiration. I can't wait to see how your project turns out!