Sign in to follow this  

How F'ed am I???

My son and I got back from riding today, he's 7. He took the initiative and began to wash our bikes, usually i help but i was busy helping the wife with something inside the house. I came outside when he was done, complemented him on a job well done and went to start my 07 450x as i always do....

I kicked it over and shot copius amounts of water out of the tail pipe. I kicked it a couple more times for good measure and more water came out.

I believe he stuck the end of the hose into the pipe, although he will not admit it.

I took the entire pipe off, dumped out the water. I also blew out the head and checked the air box for water, there was none.

its all put back together, i just wanted to run this by you guys before i try to start her.

THANKS!

LOLOLOLOLOL. You could put the bike upside down and then just turn it over slowly, this should get the rest of the water out if any got into the head

Just change the oil, run it until it's at full operating temperature, change the oil again, and you'll be fine.

+1 :lol:

Ok. Would it be a problem if I let it sit for about 4 days? Is this something I need to to now? I have to go to work (3 day shift) plus I don't have the oil....

Pull the spark plug out. Kick it over several times to make sure all the water is out of the cylinder. You may want to ground out the plug boot to prevent damage to the ignition. Put the plug back in. Change the engine oil and tranny oil. Start the bike and run it for several minutes to make sure that everything inside gets dried out and no rust can start to develop. Then for good measure change the oil again. Probably didn't do any real damage but you need to get it dried out asap.

Can't stress this enough... letting it sit will only make things worse.

This is true.

We left a snowmobile on the bottom of a lake overnight one year. Broke through the ice. The next day we fished her out, pulled plug, expelled a crankcase/cylinder full of water...rinsed well with copious amounts of WD-40.. Fresh fuel/ oil. It started 2nd pull and never had a problem.

I thought for sure it was a goner.

We left a snowmobile on the bottom of a lake overnight one year. Broke through the ice. The next day we fished her out, pulled plug, expelled a crankcase/cylinder full of water...rinsed well with copious amounts of WD-40.. Fresh fuel/ oil. It started 2nd pull and never had a problem.

I thought for sure it was a goner.

Air is necessary for oxidation. Had you pulled it out of the water and let it sit for a day, it probably would not have been such a favorable outcome.

All good! I pulled the plug and kicked it, changed the engine and tranny oil, there was water in the engine side. Put it all back together and it fired on the third kick:) thanks for all the good advice...