Sign in to follow this  

11 KX250F Fork Problems

Started noticing a loud harsh hit sometimes when my front forks would extend all the way out and today at the track started paying more attention so I played with the rebound clickers to see if I could get it to do anything different and it seemed to be the same no matter what and would rebound back up quickly like there was no dampning just the spring pushing back up. Has anyone else had problems with something coming apart internally. Almost feels like something has disconnected itself inside.

I have a '12 that did that. I discovered it was the preload adjuster lock nut backed off (right side- spring). It can only go so far but the end result is it allows the adjuster to move (annodized blue knob) up/down with the fork. Worst case it allows dirt and water into fork and will hammer itself beyond repair.

I removed the fork and then the cap. Pull down the fork tube to expose the spring/cap assembly. Now, you need a spring compressor or a really strong buddy but you need to compress the spring enough to get the cap off. I wanted to clean mine. The manual shows how to do this but upon examining it you will see how it works. Good luck.

Thanks for the help guys. As for it being the right fork Im not so sure but it certainly feels like the same issue. I messed with the rebound settings and could not get a different feel so I think Im going into that side first. Will get some more fork oil and freshen things up while Im at it.

the left side fork has not shown many issues (the side with valving)

the right side fork has a part that breaks...I have seen a few already....

I'd tear down and look into it.

Hi Joel,

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your forks. It's wierd I had experienced the same problem within the last 2 weeks, checked everything I could outside the forks, no problems found. I have my bike in to be repaired at Total Control in Burlington NC. I hope they figure it out quickly without a complete overhaul of the front forks. I have 29 hours on my bike, I was a little disappointed to say the least when this problem surfaced, expecially since I even had the fluids in the forks changed "per the manual" after break in at 1 hour of ride time. I will post what they find as soon as I hear something.

Sincerely,

John K

Is there a generic spring compressor that will work or is it best to just get the one referenced in the manual with what appears to be a kawi part number?

I fabricated my own compressor after seeing the pics in the manual. However, since I am a machinist/ welder by trade these projects come easy for me. A little creative thinking should get something cobbled up to work.

Mark

Is there a generic spring compressor that will work or is it best to just get the one referenced in the manual with what appears to be a kawi part number?

get pissed off at it - and manhandle it...haha

Seriously you CAN do the stock spring by hand, but it's a bear.

i have a 2011 as well..but mine is revalved by racetech, does that mean i could face this problem as well? what can i do to avoid it from the first place?

Hey guys,

Just got my bike back from Total Control, and the mid valve in the left fork came loose. Chad indicated he ground down the factory tappets and applied thread lock to the threads to avoid this problem from happening again. Chad also indicated if you have your suspension revalved this will be addressed in the same manner as part of the rebuild, so you should be good to go and not experience this problem if your suspension has been done in the past. Have a safe and Happy holiday everybody, and God Bless you and your families.

Sincerely,

John K.

havent had a chance to take a look at it yet but everyone has been a big help in giving me a place to start looking. will let you all know in the next few days what i find.