Sign in to follow this  

07 RMZ 250 bogs when I get on the throttle

The bike just started boggin yesterday after about an hour of riding. It only seemed to do it when i was at low rpms and got on it hard like coming out of a corner. I dont really know how to explain how it was boggin other than it would kind of bog then cut out then bog again, almost like a rev limiter but just boggin sounds stupid i know. But after about 50 or so feet it was fine. Also it started leaking a little bit of fuel right after i shut it off a few rides ago and its never done that before even with the fuel turned on. I ride alot during the week (at least 3 times per week) and Im new to workin on bikes but Ive been told its a clogged pilot jet. Just wondering where I should start on the carb any help would be appreciated.

Sounds like your float is out of adjustment. There is an overflow tube inside the float bowl of the carb. If the float raises too high the extra fuel will leak out of the hose on the bottom of the carb. Will also make your bike run rich which is what is probably causing your bog.

Clogged pilot jet would mean it would not idle.

Float levels get messed up from jumping. Re-set it.

Gas coming out the overflow tube can be your float height, but usually also you float needle is getting corroded (from ethanol gas sitting in your carb)

Also, remove any one-way vent valves on your gas cap: they attract dirt, and clog easily.

I don,t know how clean you keep your air box but I would remove it and clean the carb really good there are 2 air bleeds you will see when you pull the air box make sure you clean them well. Then you can turn the gas off remove the fuel line there is a phillips head screw at the bottom of the float bowl open it then run some carb cleaner thur the fuel inlet when you get it cleaned good spray some WD40 thur it. Try cleaning really well BEFORE you mess with any adjustments . I have the same bike it has done the same thing. Adjustments don,t usally change once they are set . I think you have trash in the carb.

I don,t know how clean you keep your air box but I would remove it and clean the carb really good there are 2 air bleeds you will see when you pull the air box make sure you clean them well. Then you can turn the gas off remove the fuel line there is a phillips head screw at the bottom of the float bowl open it then run some carb cleaner thur the fuel inlet when you get it cleaned good spray some WD40 thur it. Try cleaning really well BEFORE you mess with any adjustments . I have the same bike it has done the same thing. Adjustments don,t usally change once they are set . I think you have trash in the carb.

NEVER use auto carb cleaner on a carb.