Sign in to follow this  

2012 kx250f or rmz250? Handling

hey wondering if i should get a new rmz250 or kx250f.. im coming off a 2011 kx250f and i liked the bike but thinking of making a switch.. I always hear how easy the rmz turns and how good of handling it has, wondering if that is just hype or if it really is noticeably better than the kawasakis.. ive looked into both bikes and torn between the new dual FI on the kx250f or the great reputation suzuki has for handling..

please dont tell me to keep the 2011 it is already sold

the kawi is more for taller people ive been hearing. I might be going with the rmz but 2011, ive been hearing about tranny problems but what i really want is the handling the rmz is known for so it may be worth fixing if its a problem for me. mxa did a test on the 2012 kxf said it wasnt the best handling bike but it had an insanely strong motor. Go to your local dealer, sit on both and see which one fits you best. What did you think of the 2011 kxf's handling because mxa says the handling is pretty much the same as last year http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/MXAS-2012-KAWASAKI-KX250F-MOTOCROSS-TEST-DUAL-FUEL-8427.aspx

I wish the magazines would test bikes for reliability over a few years. I too have heard Suzuki's have tranny problems and fall a part after a few years. That is the main reason I haven't bought one. I know many times what you hear or read is wrong or doesn't apply to you but still kind of makes me nervous about the investment.

hey wondering if i should get a new rmz250 or kx250f.. im coming off a 2011 kx250f and i liked the bike but thinking of making a switch.. I always hear how easy the rmz turns and how good of handling it has, wondering if that is just hype or if it really is noticeably better than the kawasakis.. ive looked into both bikes and torn between the new dual FI on the kx250f or the great reputation suzuki has for handling..

please dont tell me to keep the 2011 it is already sold

The RMZ's are great bikes and I have friends who have 2011 and the 12 with no problems. The kid I know with the 11 just loged 70 hrs. on his bike with no problems and he is a fast B racer. He is just doing a top end. 70 hrs. is a lot for a 250 also. Why did you sell your 11 KX?

the 2011 handled pretty well i'd say, felt a little shakey at high speeds or through small choppy stuff which was pretty discouraging for me, i sold it because i ran into a little extra money by selling 2 older bikes i had laying around and figured next season the bike would need some repairs and it may be cheaper buying a new one in the long run (bought it new for 6150 and sold it for 5000). bike had around 45hrs and i left it stock so i got some good use out of it and now i get a shiny one again lol by the way im 6'2'' and 160 or so pounds

We have a 08 and a 10 RMZ with 290 kits and stage 2 cams. the 08 has over 250 hours off road and mx, the 10 has over 130 hours and neither one have had any kind of trans. problem. Now the crank is a different thing. The bigger piston seems to put a strain on the rod bearing. Looks to me like the lower rod pin should be smaller to allow for a bigger bearing

hey fender have you rode a newer kx250f? wondering if the handling and turning is really better on the rmz

Nothing beats the SFF of the KX250F, its just impossible.

You can buy the Pro Circuit triple clamps for the KX which have a different offset (trail) that will make the bike fall into the corner much easier. The trade off is straight line stability when dealing with bumpy situations, where the wheel might be knocked around on the edge. Thats where you need a steering stabilizer and you will notice ALL of the Pro Circuit guys run them.

I would stick with a KX if I were you. The RMZ 250 is nowhere near as up to date as the KX250 and I think if you spend a few bux on the triple clamps and steering dampener, you will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

Ohh and in terms of the RMZ problems, those went away in 2009 with a whole different gear box design. The 2009+ machines seem to have no major problems from what I've been reading.

Nothing beats the SFF of the KX250F, its just impossible.

You can buy the Pro Circuit triple clamps for the KX which have a different offset (trail) that will make the bike fall into the corner much easier. The trade off is straight line stability when dealing with bumpy situations, where the wheel might be knocked around on the edge. Thats where you need a steering stabilizer and you will notice ALL of the Pro Circuit guys run them.

I would stick with a KX if I were you. The RMZ 250 is nowhere near as up to date as the KX250 and I think if you spend a few bux on the triple clamps and steering dampener, you will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

Ohh and in terms of the RMZ problems, those went away in 2009 with a whole different gear box design. The 2009+ machines seem to have no major problems from what I've been reading.

try the rmz250 forum, you'll see that there is possibly a problem

try the rmz250 forum, you'll see that there is possibly a problem

That problem is three or four kids crying about crap they know nothing about....

one was saying over and over that his rmz was a pile of crap because the tranny went out when i asked later what he found wrong it ended up being a worn out clutch

That problem is three or four kids crying about crap they know nothing about....

one was saying over and over that his rmz was a pile of crap because the tranny went out when i asked later what he found wrong it ended up being a worn out clutch

Ive also talked to a mechanic and he told me straight up, look at a different brand. He said that the rmz is one of the greatest bikes made, but if you dont know how to fix the tranny its going to be costly. Plus its not worth it if you get hurt and have no confidence in your bike if it falls into a false neutral. I dont know thats what he told me which has more scared me off the rmz