Want to race again... but what bike is best for my age/style/skillset?

Hey,

I'm a 44 year old who raced many moons ago. I want to get back into racing in the beginner vet/senior class. I haven't owned a bike since my 02 RM250. I haven't raced competitively since my late teens. I'm just looking to have fun yet not get lapped too many times. What do you guys suggest the best bang for the buck on a bike would be for me?

Here's my info...

5'8" - 165 lbs - good shape for age but would be in beginner class for sure!

I'm living in Georgia now and that's where I'll try to be racing again.

My riding style was smooth and more suited to the YZ's of the past so a duct tape the throttle back 125 probably won't work:ride:. I'm leaning towards a four stroke. My budget would be in the $1500-$2000 range. I still want to be somewhat competitive.

Any experienced suggestions? ?

i would defintely go with a four stroke, you will be suprised how much easier they are to ride than a 2 stroke.. as for what bike to get, that depends on what is available in your area.. I think a 250f would probably do the job for you but they also need to be rebuilt more often then a 450f. I personally would never buy a used honda, too many issues. Try to find the cleanest looking bike you can get and check to make sure the parts on the bike are not due for replacement, nothing worse then buying a used bike to find out you need new tires, sprocket, chain, fork seals, etc(all that adds up very quickly).. I recently sold my 2008 kx250f for 2100, so look around and wait for a good one to pop up.. Or you could buy new and finance it. A lot of places are offering good finacing and that way you know your bike is fresh and not in need of a 1000$ or more engine rebuiild anytime soon..

Thanks for the suggestion on the 2 stroke not needing the work as much as the 4 stroke yet I would rather try the first responders suggestion on a 250F if I can find one not too ragged. What about a 450F? I'm thinking too much bike for my ability but if the price was right?

I'm in northern indiana, the bike was rebuilt right before I bought it from a vet rider and i put about 65 hours on it myself in 2010, had the bike checked over before i sold it and the vavles didnt even need adjusted. I know a few people with 2007-2009 kx250fs that are getting 100+ hours without rebuilds but that is only if the bikes taken care of (oil changed, air filter cleaned, not revved to the moon). If a bike had a shit load of after market engine parts, id stray away from it also (the parts increase performance but often decrease the engines reliability). Try to look for a vet rider who is selling it and not someones old race bike. As far as a 450 you probably wont take the thing out of 3rd gear but hey that may actually end up being easier for you rather then having to shift all the time. Wouldnt reccomend it for someones first bike, but seems you have some prior expiernce so i wouldnt rule it out if one comes up in good shape.. Also, dont hop on the first cheap bike you find and buy it, take your time and find one that you think was well taken care of with the lowest hours.. there are some threads on here that will help you out on what to look for when buying used

also, fuel injection is the new rave with four strokes, use that to your advantage and try and talk whoevers selling down by saying the bike is "outdated", bikes are hard to sell and money talks, dont pay what the person is asking, expose the flaws the bike may have and talk about how much it will be to fix these problems

found this on CL ... Very Nice 2001 (like 2003) YZ250F - $1400 - Its a 2001 but it has been upgraded to an auto-decompression system like the 2003 and up models so no manual decompression lever like you have on other 2001 YZ250F's. this makes starting much easier. This is a very solid bike with Kenda rear tire and Renthal fatty handle bars. No mechanical problems and the bike looks really good. Might be worth calling and finding the history/maintenance?