Sign in to follow this  

gps for SoCal

If you have big money to spend Im sure there is something better but I use a Garmin CSX 60 with a city nav card.

If you have big money to spend Im sure there is something better but I use a Garmin CSX 60 with a city nav card.

I use the same thing with a cage mount so I can't knock it off. Lots of posts on orange site about gps and mounts too.

The price has come down but I read a post that they have stopped making that one. Don't know if thats true or not.

I bought the DeLorme Earthmate and loved it. I just did a ride from San Diego to Las Vegas and I chose that unit because the Garmin couldn't hold the tracks I had tried loading on there. The Delorme doesn't care how many points are on a track.

The only thing about it that I prefer about the Garmin over the Delorme is the larger screen on the Garmin.

What's the best gps unit I can use around SoCal and Nevada for dualsport riding?

You will get much more information on AdvRider.com

Never buy maps on card only DVD. Garmin hand helds hold plenty of tracks for 2,000 mile ride if you know how to edit them.

Watch of 76Cx at WestMarine.com for $150

+1 for the 76Cx on west marine. I'm considering biting the bullet and buying one as a replacement for my 60CSx, keeping that as a spare.

The sensors ("S" in the model) are a waste IMO... I've never used the compass, and the altimeter just pisses me off.

76 over the 60 because of the form factor, and the RAM mount that encompasses the whole unit rather than relying on the belt clip of the 60. Wiped out about two years ago and split the GPS wide open. Pretty sure the belt clip was what did it.

DSC02499.jpg