Sign in to follow this  

xr250r destroying oil coolers?

Hi i have a '91 xr250r that i bought this last summer. rode around throu the last quarter of the summer. changed the oil twice and the second time i went to go on a trail and there was oil burning all over the motor. so i replaced the oil cooler with a used one, it blew that one on the frist ride. then i bought a brand new one and it busted that one on the first ride as well.:lol: Just want some oppiniions on whaT THE PROBLEM could be. Could it bed the oil i used, oil pump? wood it hurt the motor to bypass the intake and outake tubes of the cooler?

anything helps.

I would make sure the tubes aren't hooked up backwards at both the oil cooler and at the engine.

Then make sure the oil filter isn't installed backwards.

Inspect/clean the oil screen filter in the bottom of the crankcase. You have to take off the right crankcase cover to get to it.

If your '91 XR carries the oil in the front frame downtube like the '96 and newer bikes, it has a screen filter at the banjo fitting at the bottom of the frame tube that needs to be checked/cleaned too.

The oil pump is a positive displacement type pump. If there's any blockage downstream of the cooler, I could see it building enough pressure to blow something.

Make sure too you're not over filling the engine with oil. It's pretty common for people that don't know the proper procedure for checking oil level to think it's low and add more when it isn't required, over filling it.

make sure the filter isnt backwards. seen that happen a few times