Sign in to follow this  

How to make your own Gaskets (easy)

Could I use this for any gasket on the bike for a temporary fix? We pulled off my reeds the other day and the main reed cage gasket was a little broken up. Can you do this and replace with a real gasket shortly after?

As long as you have gasket material it should work as good as a gasket that order online, but if you wanna be on the safe side you could make a gasket and use it until you have the money to buy one that is meant to be on that part. :lol: Hope that helps, btw if you found the video helpful would you mind subscribing to my youtube channel? :) would make my day :banghead:

Yes sir, that was awesome. I figured it'd be some sort of silicone goop, not literally cutting out your own. Respect man. It's time consuming, but well worth it I'm sure!

thats pretty cool. The only thing that i would be worried about is the way that you are tapping the edges of the parts with the hammer. If you mar the edges up on accident, it could be trouble.

Soft face hammer, won't damage the metal at all but i don't understand why he doesn't just trace around the part with the knife or trace it with a pen and cut it out?

I also do some of my gaskets when I need one replaced in a hurry.I have a punch set that goes up to 1 1/4 so I can usually get a nice inside radius.

I do it the same way except I just cut it out with scissors instead of tapping it with a hammer. seems to be a bit quicker.

Same here. Seems like it took quite a long time. I think I could have cut that gasket out in a minute or two, tops.

Seems like quite a process actually but great whenever you don't want to wait on the big brown truck..Would love to learn how.

I prefer to use old OEM gasket as a template. Just put it on the gasket paper, tape it on it from few places so it stays in the same place. Use a pen, and then scissors. I made all the gaskets for my KTM last time from the old ones. And no leaking of any kind in 30h. The big one on the right side of the engine was a bit hard to do because the original gasket was damaged when I took it off. 4x1m piece of this gasket paper was about 5 euros. And I can do more gaskets from that than Im going to need in few years.