Sign in to follow this  

Getting back into dirt riding again - plz help

Trying to figure out what's best for me. Age 60, 5'9, 200lbs (working on that) - currently have a 82 xr200r with less than 300 original miles (i've owned it since new). Just about to starting riding it again. Heading to Moab in the spring and looking to hit most of the trails out there. I don't need to fly over these, these days I'm more of a putter, but on occasion like to push my own limits (I'm am an ex so-so flat-track expert) so a trials bike is out.

So my question, I need a bike capable of climbing with enough power so i can pick my way up the hills without making a "hail mary" run,but don't want too much power or weight that it becomes a chore to ride.

It would be nice if were plate-able to open up more riding opportunities.

So that said, is a 250 (honda crf250x, ktm 250 exc, yamaha wr250r) a good choice or should I think about a 450 (kinda limited here to a ktm 450exc for plating purposes) or should i just keep my xr200r and forget about the plate.

Finally, given current economic conditions, I'd like to keep the total price under 4K

Please help with your thoughts.

If price was not an issue a Beta 350 RS or RR would fit the bill perfectly. W/ price in consideration. DRZ400S Or a DR350!

I gO with the xr250 or the 400. You'd like both. I have xr250 it's an 86 I really like it. And I'm a bigger Guy at 245. It does fine power wise. That is if ur just playin around on trails! Have fun? Glad to hear ur getting back to the dirt!:lol: