Sign in to follow this  

Gearing question

Im a newbie here but would 14/38 sprockets be good for a 06 sm mostly driven on the highway? How fast would it run?

15/41 is the stock gearing for DRZ400SM, which is the same as 14/38....

A 16T will fit but it is a close fit.....

Top speed depends on engine hp output...The more hp ,the taller the gearing your engine can support...

Stock gearing (15/41) IMHO is the best all around gearing for the DRZSM :lol:

+1 Debi but slapping on a 14 now and then sure is fun.

+1 Debi but slapping on a 14 now and then sure is fun.

As mentioned 15/41 is stock....If you go the 14/38 there will be no change to gearing ratio, all you will be achieving is reducing the chain to swing arm clearance and chain life....

And if you are going 14/41 you are making your bike's gearing less suitable for your mostly highway use... :lol:

Yep, 14/41= Hooligan wheelie machine.That's why I said it's fun to put on now and then:banana:

I am with Debi though...I think the stock 15/41 is best all around.For reference sake,What is the smallest rear sprocket size your bad azz motor will efficienty pull Craig?

As mentioned 15/41 is stock....If you go the 14/38 there will be no change to gearing ratio, all you will be achieving is reducing the chain to swing arm clearance and chain life....

And if you are going 14/41 you are making your bike's gearing less suitable for your mostly highway use... :cheers:

Very true :lol:

Yep, 14/41= Hooligan wheelie machine.That's why I said it's fun to put on now and then:banana:

I am with Debi though...I think the stock 15/41 is best all around.For reference sake,What is the smallest rear sprocket size your bad azz motor will efficienty pull Craig?

And track weapon :) My DRZ pulled so hard out of corners with this gearing (14/41) but I also had the 5mm stroker crank and other goodies :banghead:

,What is the smallest rear sprocket size your bad azz motor will efficienty pull Craig?

15/38 isn't be a problem when your got lots'a ponies...:)

I always gear my bike to suit where I mostly ride, which is currently tight mountain roads..Here I run 14/41 on the SM ..which relates to a high fun factor on a 60hp DRZ..:lol:

That's spot on what I figured it would be.Sweet-can't wait too long

So are you going stroker with your SM?...

If so I would go with a 94mm BB and +4mm stroke...The 95.5mm bore is giving me head gasket problems

Would like to this winter if finances allow it.You know how that goes.Probably won't happen.

Thanks for the good advice.I have been wondering what setup is most bulletproof.:lol:

Its what ever your bike can pull off. if its making a lot of torque, gear up so you can use. the frront sprockets are cheap, easy to change, and offer the biggest difference. they are typically around $12-16 each. get a 13,14,15,16. and try them all. change them for the riding your doing. Highway-gear up 15-16 twisties 14, offroad 13. you can use the same chain.

thats what i did with my XRR. I got way more out of it with the 16/39 than anything else.

Anyone have any idea why the countershaft sprocket has to be torqued to all bedamn?My Clymer manual says 81ft-lbs.Holy crap!My DR350 sprocket just floats on the splines....