Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Lever for small, arthritic hands

I ride a CRF 450r with a Rekluse Core EXP for offroad. I installed the Core for it's anti-stall feature... but I actually like to use the clutch lever quite a bit while riding.

The small range of reach adjustment and high pull-resistance of the stock clutch lever is killing my left hand. I want to get the lever closer to the bar and decrease the pull resistance. The options I've identified so far are:

1) Magura Jack-- a hydro-clutch, should be less lever resistance (mixed reviews) and the lever is adjustable, but I can't find any info on HOW adjustable the lever is.

2) ASV C6-- Might reduce the resistance a tad, and looks like I could adjust the lever pretty close to the bar. The main selling point for most people is the hinged lever, which is kind of a waste on my bike as I run cycra hand guards (I've never broken a lever and I crash plenty).

3) Moose Ultimate Clutch Lever System -- Should reduce clutch lever resistance. Main concern is I've heard that they have quality issues (people cracking the perch while installing them).

I appreciate any feedback or other solutions!

Thanks,

IBCGUY

Thanks for the reply. I had a z-start, and at low rpm it does have a light clutch pull, but as the revs climb, so does the tension on the lever. I didn't like the inconsistent pull, hence the Core.

Keep the comments coming...since it's beautiful out and I can't ride (sick) I want to order some goodies for the bike!

The ASV clutch will give you plenty of adjustability, not sure it it'll feel any better pull wise than a stocker.

There are differencies between the ole Z-Start and the new Pro, and I do believe that the rising clutch pull with revs is one of the differencies. Should know, I have a Pro but have junked the clutch for a LHRB...

Anyway...

A well maintained/new wire will have the almost the same pull resistance as a hydraulic clutch. The internal friction of the wire is not the dealbreaker here, the compressing of 4, 5 or 6 stiff clutchsprings is.

So you need to increase the mechanical leverage. But what you gain in leverage you loose in distance.

There are fancy levers and devices you can attach to the wire to increase that leverage, or if you are a bit handy you could just increase the length of the lever arm. It's down to what you prefer, tinkering or shopping :lol:

This might sound stupid but I think your best bet is to fab up some custom lever that decrease the distance of the cable slot to the pivot point and/or increases the "moment arm" of the lever if that makes sense (not lengthening the clutch lever it self). There is not a big market for super easy clutch levers so the products you find will probably be expensive and/or not very good. Hydro clutchs are definitely better but probably not to the magnitude you are looking for.

(not lengthening the clutch lever it self).

Sorry if I was a bit unclear, I was referring to the the lever arm on the engine. If that is longer you'll get more leverage with your stock cheap levers - but you'll need to to some fabricating to extend it.

Check out the MSR Pro Raptor. It's cheap but nice quality and reduces the clutch pull by 325%. I've had two of them so far, one on my Yamaha and one on my Husky and I honestly feel it pulls easier than my buddies Magura Hydro.

Yes get the pro raptor,clutch pull is smooth as butter.I had an old version that the perch did break when mounting but I fixed it with a small screw thru the perch.I also bought the new version for another bike which is a little better desighn.

I run the msr aof on my 250 with the rekluse exp. It reduced the clutch pull and was adjustable enough to meet my needs. On my 450 with the ekluse exp I run the stock crf lever since I don't ever use the clutch, I'm surprised that you use your clutch.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I went ahead and got the Magura. I haven't mounted it yet, but it looks like the lever adjustment will be plenty. Hopefully I'll have time to install and get a ride in before the snow flies. Thanks again!

Boo