Sign in to follow this  

Using too much fuel

I ride a 2001 DRZ400 with stock exhaust, removed snorkel and a jet kit. I get about 15 miles to the gallon - about 1/2 of what I should get. I have replaced the float and re adjusted the float and cleaned the carb x 3. Installed a new TPS. I have no leaks. The oil smells like gas after a ride. Any suggestions on what to try next?

Yes, you need to fix the internal leak n the carb. Float needle seat and/or 'O" ring on the seat. Possibly float setting or sunken float.

Stock petcock has been known to leak. There is no shut-off on mine, which is a 2003 S model.

There is a setting on the petcock ( PRI ) that allows gas to flow freely into the carb and any weakness in your float valve will be a big problem as it flows like there is no tomorrow

You're not doing your motor any favors if that volume of gas is leaking into the oil

If the float was overflowing, wouldn't that just dump the gas out the over flow tube? I ordered a new float valve, float seat, seat o ring and accelerator pump diaphragm. There is a on, off and reserve setting on th petcock and there are no leaks at the petcock or onto the ground when sitting/stopped and no smell of gas around the bike

it's possible that the vacuum line from the petcock is draining fuel into the motor as well. the diaphraghms in the stock petcocks fail time to time and cause problems like you're having.

I can see where the a carb diaphragm has a hose that leads to the engine- that could be it!

ericmace - obviously has an E model with FCR carb and manual fuel shut off valve but that should have been posted to clarify to start with. Yes normally the overflow pipe will spill gas if the float valve is a problem. Maybe the overflow is plugged up. The vacuum hoses and diaphragm on the side are part of the CE system. A failed system will leak vacuum but not fuel like you are experiencing. To get fuel in the oil when running, the motor has to be extremely rich. Odd that it even runs at all. Main jet fell out? main air jet plugged up? plus what was suggested previously.

Go thru the carb and you will probably find the problem.

I have done all the obvious stuff and been through the carb x 3. Put a jet kit in with a new main and needle with no change- currently running the leanest jet from the kit at 4000 ft elevation, I cleaned the interal parts of every orfice inside the carb, I replaced the float and re adjusted the float. I checked that the overflow is not clogged.

The bike runs great but occasionally idles 300-500 rpms higher that at other times. Today I ordered all the parts around the accelerator pump and the float valve and valve seat so we will see if that helps

Have you checked the petcock to see it it is leaking? A ON/OFF/RES petcock can fail and need replacement or rebuilding. The one on my '03 Kodiak 400 just failed(can't shut off the fuel) and I am replacing it this week.